Machine Shop Technician - 7979 6/3/2020
University of California - Merced
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Hiring Range
Job Closing Date
Applicant review will begin on or around 06/16/2020, and may close anytime after that date without notice
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
About the Job
Working under the Machine Shop Manager s direction, the Technician will provide machine shop training to faculty, Instructor for Machine Shop Engineering instructional courses, graduate and undergraduate students and specialized machine shop support for multiple research groups in an academic environment. Incumbent must be comfortable supporting scientific researchers in their machine shop needs through face-to-face and e-mail conversations. The Technician must demonstrate top level machinist knowledge and skills and be able to supervise mechanical work that can be potentially hazardous to end users. A portion of the role will be to perform design and machining tasks, and to repair scientific equipment as outlined by faculty and students through a formal job request process. A large portion of the role will be overseeing an evolving user community including faculty, staff and students as they work in the machine shop making sure they are in compliance with federal, state and university regulations concerning health, safety and risk management. Also, will maintain safety documents and records pertaining to shop activities.
The regular work schedule may include evenings and weekends in order to increase shop availability times for users.
* High school or a General Education Diploma and 6 years of metal shop experience and journeyman skill in the operation of all standard machine shop equipment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Preferred: Bachelor s degree with a minimum of AA degree in machine shop technology or mechanical engineering technology
* Journeyman Level Machinist with a minimum of 6 year experience in machining. Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, or grinders and CNC. Certification of level of Machining skills.
* Ability to develop cooperative and effective working relationships with students, Faculty and staff using excellent verbal, written and electronic communications skills.
* Requires effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated independent organizational and project management skills including the ability to coordinate and prioritize a diverse workload, set and meet competing deadlines and establish systems to effectively manage projects and other information.
* Ability to act independently and follow through on assignments.
* Ability to independently resolve problems.
* Skill to maintain courteous attitude while providing service in any circumstance.
* Experience working as part of a professional team and in maintaining confidentially.
* Positive work attitude, willing to work as a team member in support of the goals and objectives of the School of Engineering.
* Good Attendance.
* Read Blue Prints (AAA Drawings)
* Ability to demonstrate safe working practices in a Machine Shop School Environment, as number one priority.
* Ability to Draw (Solidworks or ProE)
* Ability to read, understand, interpret and apply policies and procedures
Background check and fingerprinting may be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/