Manager, Technical Accounting
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 12/28/2019
END DATE 2/16/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONTempur Sealy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Summary: The Manager of Technical Accounting for Tempur Sealy International, Inc. is a high impact role within Tempur Sealy's Global Financial Reporting team. This role requires strong partnership and collaboration with the Consolidations and SEC Reporting functions in Global Financial Reporting, as well as subsidiary Controllers, Financial Planning & Analysis, Tax, Treasury, Legal and Audit. An extensive technical accounting background and excellent technical and plain English writing and communication skills are required to support compliance for our rapidly evolving company. Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills are also a must to ensure strong business partnerships and collaboration with all global accounting and finance teams. This individual must be able to adapt and thrive in an environment of rapid change, work effectively within cross-functional teams, be highly resourceful, be able to deliver strong results, have a passion for operational excellence, and possess a strong set of communication and analytical skills. This individual will have unlimited growth opportunities in our global company and will be expected to shape his/her own career path.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Key Results Area:
- Proactively monitors new and emerging technical accounting standards for U.S. GAAP, assesses the global business impact and develops an adoption and education plan for the global organization comprised of more than 70 legal entities in 25 countries.
- Consults with the business and analyzes the accounting impact of proposed business transactions and contracts in accordance with U.S. GAAP. Drafts accounting memorandums to contemporaneously document accounting conclusions for internal and external review. Maintains a complete set of audit-ready documentation and in accordance with internal controls.
- Provides global accounting support for technical accounting matters related to lease accounting, including cross-functional consultations on accounting assessment of lease agreements. Monitors global lease controls compliance and administers the lease accounting tool.
- Monitors the adequacy and appropriateness of global accounting policies. Develops a cross-functional review process to update and develop new or existing policies due to business or regulatory matters. Distributes and educates the global organization on new or updated policies.
- Manages the planning, execution and documentation of all groupwide controls as determined by management and audit.
- Assists in the review of all SEC filings and consults with the Manager, SEC Reporting on the completion of the quarterly and annual GAAP disclosure checklists to ensure all disclosures are prepared, updated and reported in compliance with GAAP.
- Assists in the review of the monthly and quarterly consolidations process and consults with the Manager, Global Financial Reporting on the accounting and consolidation of business transactions.
- Coordinates requests with third party service providers that support proposed business transactions.
- Develops interactive relationships with global subsidiary Controllers, International Finance and Corporate departments (specifically Legal, Tax, Treasury, and Financial Planning & Analysis).
- Supports external auditors during audits and interim reviews. Coordinates requests and manages the flow of information and documentation related to technical accounting matters.
- Coordinates closely with the Global Financial Reporting managers on the direction, training, and development of personnel within the Global Financial Reporting department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. Management reserves the right to assign or reassign other appropriate duties to this job at any time. This document excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
The successful candidate:
- Is able to thrive in an environment of rapid change;
- Works effectively within cross-funcational teams;
- Is highly resourceful;
- Has a passion for operational excellence;
- Is able to delegate tasks effecitvely; and
- Possesses strong communication, organizational and analytical skills.
Ideal Candidate Possesses These Attributes:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies and skills:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Interpersonal Skills - Communicates and coordinates effectively
- Written Communication - Communicates clearly and with purpose
- Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
- Business Acumen - Displays orientation to company profitability
- Cost Consciousness - Develops and implements cost saving measures
- Ethics - commitments; Adheres to professional standards
- Organizational Support - Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Quantity - Completes work in timely manner
- Dependability - Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Mathematical Skills- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Reasoning Skills- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have, at minimum, an intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office. Advanced Microsoft Excel experience preferred. Oracle, Hyperion Financial Management, and/or Dynamics AX knowledge a plus.
Individuals should be: career-minded, self-starters, organized thinkers and high performers. Bachelor's degree in Accounting from a four-year college or university; 8 to 10 years related experience and/or training, including technical accounting research; CPA required.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be capable of performing each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements herein are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
Fast-paced corporate office environment. Some stress may occur. Flexibility to travel within the U.S. and to other countries is required.
The work environment and physical demand characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results outlined herein..