Mechanical Design Engineer 8/20/2020
Ann Arbor, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY COMPANY OVERVIEW
Calling the adventurers ready to join a company that's pushing the limits of nanotechnology to keep the digital revolution rolling. At KLA, we're making technology advancements that are bigger and tinier than the world has ever seen.
Who are we* We research, develop, and manufacture the world's most advanced inspection and measurement equipment for the semiconductor and nanoelectronics industries. We enable the digital age by pushing the boundaries of technology, creating tools capable of finding defects smaller than a wavelength of visible light. We create smarter processes so that technology leaders can manufacture high-performance chips the kind in that phone in your pocket, the tablet on your desk and nearly every electronic device you own faster and better. We're passionate about creating solutions that drive progress and help people do what wouldn't be possible without us. The future is calling. Will you answer*
With over 40 years of semiconductor process control experience, chipmakers around the globe rely on KLA to ensure that their fabs ramp next-generation devices to volume production quickly and cost-effectively. Enabling the movement towards advanced chip design, KLA's Global Products Group (GPG), which is responsible for creating all of KLA s metrology and inspection products, is looking for the best and the brightest research scientist, software engineers, application development engineers, and senior product technology process engineers.
Central Engineering is KLA's largest engineering organization comprised of 9 Centers-of-Excellence (CoE) in various disciplines applied across all product groups in the company. These CoE include Handling & Automation, Precision Motion Control, Sensors & Image Acquisition, Platform Design, and Packaging Engineering, among others. Talent includes over 500 engineers across global centers in Israel, China, India, and the US. Each CoE contributes not just talent and deliverables per discipline toward product programs, but also subject matter expertise, best practices, roadmaps, specialized facilities, apparatus, models, and analytics. These differentiate KLA not only in WHAT we do, but also in HOW we do it.
In this role successful candidates will be responsible for:
* Design of components for operation in high vacuum including vacuum chambers and subcomponent interfaces
* Design of precision components and subsystems
* Work with contamination control team to derive best known methods (BKM), prevention and diagnostic techniques,
* Understand system and subsystem requirement specifications
* Understand material selection and fabrication method for high vacuum systems
* Provide solutions to various structural and dynamic requirements for precision instruments
* Perform concept and detailed designs using 3D modeling software packages (ProE/Creo, etc.)
* Perform feasibility studies and proof of concepts,
* Define test criteria and create test plans and failure mode for functional prototypes in the lab.
* Assist with assembly and testing of subcomponents and system level assemblies
* Develop understanding of cost, schedule, and scope and impact of possible tradeoffs
* Participate in design reviews
* Plan release of designs according to KLA s standard processes
* Work cross functional and contribute to system-level discussions including impact on overall system performance
* Help with troubleshooting and resolve issues both at subsystem and system levels
* Provide necessary technical support for manufacturing operations and service engineering; addressing current issues and implement continuous improving projects (CIP) and cost reductions initiatives
* Provide required support for all regulatory investigations and compliance related initiatives;
* Strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles and fundamentals including design principles, machine elements, materials, fabrication methods, and integration and testing
* Experience with high-precision mechanism design for precision instruments
* Proficient in 3D solid modeling using CAD, preferably ProE/Creo
* Analytical problem-solving skills in the structural and dynamic domains
* Understanding of engineering tolerance and error budgets, knowledge of GD&T
* Be able to work in a multi-discipline and multi-culture global organization
* Be flexible and adaptive to adjust project focus based on priority changes
* Excellent writing skills and verbal communication
* Must be self-driven and a strong teammate
* Must be able to travel domestically and internationally
Bachelor's Level Degree
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Additional BenefitsTuition Reimbursement
Employee Stock Purchase Program
Employee Training and Development