Mechanical Project Engineer 2/4/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Contract Type:
Reporting to the Regional Engineering Manager this role will be responsible for supporting creative engineering solutions to production process issues through the modification and improvement of existing equipment and sub components, or the design and development of new products. Utilize Engineering background to lead projects, develop and implement equipment or process improvements and other engineering functions within the assigned region. Position requires a balance between of hands-on and analytical engineering skills.
* Evaluates existing production equipment and layout to engineer design improvements enhancing productivity, cost efficiency, reliability and safety. Can be sent to a facility with minimal guidance, establish and implement robust improvement plans.
* Optimizes manufacturing processes, including process control, set-up, changeover, automation, die development, new equipment selections and lean manufacturing work flow improvements.
* Manages several medium size projects including scope development, specifications, schedule, estimating, cost tracking and resource planning for engineering and other technical activities relating to the project to ensure safety, regulatory, and policy requirements are met. Accountable for project execution relative to scope, time and budget. May partner with Engineering Coordinator to execute projects.
* Designs and develops basic mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment or related devices in response to specific new products or manufacturing process requirements. Improves or modifies existing equipment or processes.
* Interfaces and coordinates with internal customers and support, outside contractors, estimates costs, tracks proposals and manages projects execution to scope.
* Provide technical consultation to plant maintenance groups pertaining to installation, trouble shooting, process control and repair of equipment.
* Participates with the internal EH&S resources to implement equipment safety standards and procedures. Supports equipment safety upgrades as needed in the plant network. Supports commitment based safety. Promotes use of all PPE by employees, ensuring guards and safety features are working, and good daily safety practices and habits.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* B.S. Degree in Engineering required. Advanced degree a plus.
* 5-7+ years of Project Management in manufacturing with practical expertise in mechanical, electrical or plastic engineering.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Good knowledge of plastic blow molding and injection molding manufacturing processes and equipment
* Hands-on experience with set-up, troubleshooting, changeover, automation, and mold optimization
* Basic knowledge of mold and die design
* Machine PLC programming and process control set up
* Experience with new product development, design, trials and resin selection a plus
* Basic electromechanical trouble shooting experience
* Strong background in project planning, prioritization, and implementation. PMP certification a plus.
* Experience leading medium projects. Project examples include new equipment, cell design and complete manufacturing line install.
* Strong electromechanical trouble shooting experience
* Experience with new product development, design, trials and material selection
* Experience with developing detailed plans to improve plant reliability, robustness and profitability
* Good skill in interpersonal relationships as needed to maintain successful relationships with customers and coworkers at all levels
* Experience with machine repairs, rebuilds and maintenance plans
* Good communication skills for creating, delivering and selling ideas or messages
* Good knowledge of OSHA, regulatory compliance and industrial safety practices
* Solid financial acumen
* 2D and 3D AutoCad preferred
* Computer skills in MS Project, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
* Spanish speaking is a plus
* Extensive travel required
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity for growth. Greif, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, gender, religion, age, national origin, color, disability, or veteran status. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran. For more information read Greif s Equal Opportunity Policy.