Medical Assistant 5/5/2020
El Paso, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tracking Code
STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates for the Medical Assistant position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSCs mission is to manage and provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional and detention health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health, reduce global disease and support the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities that are in place.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Critical thinking skills.
* Cultural competency.
* Integrity and honesty.
* Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish preferred.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education
* Minimum Education: High School Graduate
* Graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Program located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. Territory.
* Must have a minimum of one year of experience as a medical assistant in a clinical setting.
* Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQURED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
* Active, unrestricted certification as a Medical Assistant. Certified by one of the following:
* Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), Registered Medical Assistant by the American Society of Medical Technologists
* (AMT), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) by the National Healthcareer Association
* (NHA), National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) by the National Center for Competency
* Testing (NCCT), or National Registered title of Certified Medical Assistant (NRCMA) by the National Health Association for Health Professionals
* This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
* Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers certification through the American Heart
* Association .
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
* Ability and proficiency to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
* Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
* Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
* Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
* Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
* Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
* Moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
* Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice and certification.
* Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
* May be expected to respond to medical emergencies.
* Obtains medical histories and completes necessary charting requirements including vital signs on residents entering the Family Residential facility. Any medical problems are referred to the RN, NP/PA, and/or Physician.
* Assists with gathering resident data during sick call, medical appointments, and emergencies.
* Data includes medical complaints and vital signs.
* Assists with minor surgical procedures.
* If performing as an EKG/ECG technician must be cross trained to fill this role.
* Assists with collecting laboratory samples as required. Practical knowledge of laboratory procedures and guidelines.
* Knowledge of medical supply par levels and able to assist the HSA or designee in ordering required supplies.
* Assures a safe and clean working environment at all times.
* Participates as member of health care team to ensure that needed equipment, supplies and logs are available, clean, functional and up to date.
* Must adhere to principals, procedures and techniques for appropriate patient care and take direction from registered nurses and onsite administrative personnel.
* Must appropriately document patient/resident encounters according to current standards of care using electronic health records.
* Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
* Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
* Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
* Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
* Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
* Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational
* Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
* Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
* Other duties as assigned.
DUTY HOURS / ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
* IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
* This full time position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts.
* Availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
* On-call availability is not required for this position.
* The Department of Homeland Security s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
* A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
* Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
* Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
* Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.