Medical Assistant- Pulmonary Sugar Land 8/21/2020
Sugar Land, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
At Houston Methodist, the Medical Assistant (MA) position assists in the examination and treatment of patients under the direct supervision of the clinical or administrative leadership. This position is responsible for assisting providers in the administration of patient care in assigned clinical areas. The MA position assists with patient examinations, procedures, diagnostic studies, treatment, and dressing changes. This position also performs general administrative duties in accordance with CLIA, HIPAA, NCQA and government standards, as well as company policies and procedures. The MA position participates in patient care which is under the direction of a physician and within the scope of a medical assistant. This position may also be required to schedule patient appointments, ensure medical necessity compliance, and verify eligibility for care.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Promotes a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution.
2. Interacts with peers, staff and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information in a clear and timely manner. Takes messages via telephone/email to forward to the provider/registered nurse.
3. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for turnover/retention/employee satisfaction, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Provides care to patients visiting the clinic under the direct supervision of a Physician,
Registered Nurse, or clinic leadership procedures, using cultural diversity and inclusion principles. In collaboration with the provider team, anticipates the needs of the specific patient population.
2. Communicates with patient, obtains and documents vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height), chief complaint(s), preforms medication(s) review, discusses/reviews medical and social history (as appropriate). Documents, in patient s electronic medical record (EMR). care administered, all diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and.
3. Follow-up with patient as appropriate to ensure compliance with recommendations, medications, lab/x-ray results, special visits, PCP visits, dieticians, diabetes educators, etc. Ensures patient utilization and activation of MyChart.
4. Contributes towards improving department scores for patient satisfaction on department scorecard through peer-to-peer accountability.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients. Assists with maintaining equipment and supplies.
2. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the physician or nurse to achieve desired patient outcomes. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind.
3. Sterilizes instruments and equipment under the supervision of Sr. Medical Assistant or Registered Nurse.
4. Contributes to identification of improvement activities, impacting quality and safety targets on the department scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional team.
FINANCE - 15%
1. Responsible for stocking exam rooms and taking inventory.
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and professional development activities.
2. Seeks guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Completion of one-year Graduate Medical Assistant position within HMSPG/HMPCG
o Two years medical assistant experience in a clinic/outpatient setting
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Medical Assistant Certification through an approved credentialing certification agency within one year of employment, i.e. American Association of Medical Assistant or American Medical Technologists, or Emergency Medical Technician
o American Heart Association BLS
o Phlebotomy certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.