Medical Lab Scientist I--Molecular Diagnostics Lab--Evening Shift 6/6/2020
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: This position is in the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory and will focus on performing clinical molecular based assays for COVID19 testing.
The ideal candidate will have experience in molecular methods including working in a biosafety cabinet, performing DNA and RNA extraction, operating automated amplification and detection PCR platforms, data review and result reporting.
New grads with a major in Medical Laboratory Science or a life science are encouraged to apply.
The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology).
This is a full time 40 hour/week position with rotating weekends, holidays. The hours of this position are 3pm - 11:30pm.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 34446BR
JOB SUMMARY: Performs tests, confirms accuracy of results and reports laboratory findings to the Pathologists and other Clinicians. This is an entry-level position for new graduates, and the level if not certified.
* Under the direction of a MLSII,MLSIII, Lead or Supervisor prepares specimens for examination and performs complex chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and/or bacteriological tests according to established laboratory procedures. Uses automated equipment and instruments capable of performing tests simultaneously.
* Under general supervision performs and documents start-up, quality control, calibration, preventative maintenance and troubleshooting procedures on instruments and laboratory equipment per established laboratory protocols. Assists with inventory management to maintain adequate supplies for patient testing.
* Performs routine testing, preparing of specimens, and evaluation of test results. Evaluates QC and calibration results for acceptability following established laboratory policies before reporting patient results.
* Ensures accuracy of test results. Evaluates test results, enters test results into the LIS and reports critical/urgent test results to providers according to established laboratory policies. Reviews own work to ensure that all work products are accurate, consistent with standards, and produced in a timely manner
* Participates in mandatory and voluntary continuing education to stay current with developments in the field of laboratory medicine. Completes all required competency assessments including the running and resulting of proficiency testing samples. Participates in QA/QI projects.
* Participates in the evaluation of new methods, procedures and instruments and in the development of technical standard operating procedures under the direction of the laboratory leadership.
* Adheres to all established laboratory safety and infection control policies and procedures. Follows all OSHA guidelines.
* May perform venipunctures, including blood culture collection, and fingersticks ensuring proper ID/labeling of specimens and using vein preservation techniques. As well as other basic duties assigned by Manager or Team Lead.
* Answers basic client questions and inquiries. Asks for assistance from co-workers, Team Leads, and Supervisor to ensure client questions and inquires have been satisfactorily answered.
* Bachelor's degree in Medical Lab. or Life Sciences, or in progress and completed prior to start date required.
* Registration ASCP Registered preferred.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Successful completion of a clinical laboratory medicine rotation, clinical practicum, or equivalent clinical laboratory experience.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.