Medical Physicist 8/25/2020
Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Corpus Christi, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY TOGETHER, WE CAN BEAT CANCER.
At Varian, we bring together the worlds best talent to realize our vision of a world without fear of cancer. Together, we work passionately to develop and deliver easy-to-use, efficient oncology solutions. If you want to be part of this important mission, we want to hear from you.
Works at the clinic site in collaboration with the Cancer Care Leadership to ensure high quality and safe interpretation, delivery, operation, and monitoring of radiation safety policies, procedures, standards, and equipment for Radiation Oncology Services. Responsible for ensuring delivery of high-quality radiation therapy while providing staff with the proper education and training and oversight to minimize radiation exposure. Implements and abides by Customer Service Standards. Supports and implements patient safety and other safety practices as appropriate. Supports and demonstrates Family-Centered Care principles when interacting with patients and their families and with co-workers.
- Calibration of dose meters (including dosimetric inter-comparisons for QA) and radiation equipment (accelerator monitor unit calibration) Beam data acquisition for treatment planning
- Preparation of data for treatment planning systems Development/improvement of dose measurement systems and protocols and software for dosimetry purposes (including spreadsheets and databases)
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State and organizational regulations for radiation safety.
- Participates in development of organizational Performance Improvement activities, policies and procedures, standards of practice to meet required regulatory requirements.
- Assists in Acceptance testing and commissioning of new machines and acceptance testing and re-commissioning after major maintenance
- Performs individual treatment planning, dosimetry calculations, and treatment planning reviews (physics component)
- Provides physics consultation to all radiation oncology personnel and radiation oncologist concerning aspects of patient care and treatment
- Ensure routine verification of department treatment planning system.
- Collaborates with information services department, provides software management of department planning system
- Assists in the planning and shielding calculations for new radiation facilities and programs
- In collaboration with department director and Physics director is responsible for clinical education, training, and competency evaluations for medical physics, dosimetry, and therapy staff
- Responsible for development, maintenance, education, and implementation of departmental policies/procedures related to medical physics, dosimetry, and radiation safety
- Member of the Radiation Safety Committee.
- Assists in development and maintenance of schedules that assures adequate coverage of medical physics and dosimetry
- M.S. or PhD (preferred) in Medical Physics, or a closely related field, required.
- Texas License strongly preferred
- Strong Brachytherapy background highly desirable
- Minimum of 4 years clinical physics experience in a program of similar size with computerized treatment planning and comparable computerized simulator/accelerator required
- Computer system administration experience with patient record and verify database applications preferred
- Experience with High Dose Rate (HDR) and Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) programs preferred.
- Computer system administration experience with patient record and verify database applications desirable.
- Certification in Radiation Oncology Physics by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or other alternative certifying body
- Must apply for and maintain relevant State licensing and/or registration as required for working as a medical physicist at the clinical site and to do so in a timely manner #LI-0S1
FIGHTING CANCER CALLS FOR BIG IDEAS.
We envision a world without fear of cancer. Achieving this vision takes dedication and commitment from all of us, every single day. That's why we celebrate and value the distinctly beautiful and intersectional identities of each of our employees. We are a mirror of our patient-base, which allows us to innovate. Big ideas come from everywhere, and the best ideas are fostered by our unique individual experiences. At Varian, we encourage you to bring your whole self to work and believe your bold and authentic perspective will help to power more victories over cancer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.