Medical/Practice Assistant / 40HRS / Day / Primary Care / Brookline 8/20/2020
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Medical /Practice Assistant (MA/PA) is an integral member of the healthcare team and is accountable for patient care as assigned by a licensed independent provider (LIP: MD, NP, PA), a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN) . The MA/PA participates in the direct and indirect care of patients, health maintenance, patient instruction, collaborative planning and rehabilitation as within scope of practice and consistent with his/her education and training. The Medical/Practice Assistant may be present in secure medication storage areas and is allowed incidental access to medications. Developing relationships with patients, families and colleagues, the MA functions as an interdisciplinary team member who provides quality patient care and contributes toward the attainment of important goals for the patient, the practice and the organization. Additionally, as part of the regular job duties, the MA/PA will provide administrative support to the practice responsible for multiple functions to ensure a smooth and seamless patient experience.
CLINICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Demonstrates true engagement and enthusiasm to contribute toward the care delivery needs for patients and families.
* Promotes an inclusive environment supportive of patient and family centered care for a diverse community.
* Accepts assignments for patient care within the scope of his/her preparation and within current standards of practice. In conjunction with a Licensed Independent Provider (LIP), LPN or RN, participates in the gathering of data that contributes to the assessment, planning, and evaluation of care delivered.
* Collaborates as a member of the health care team, contributing toward a supportive and therapeutic environment that promotes the attainment of patient goals that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and timely.
* Accurately obtains vital signs, elicits information about the patients basic health status, administers relevant care within scope of practice and as directed by the LIP/LPN/RN, and documents as appropriate in the electronic health record.
* Performs routine tests that may include but are not limited to: electrocardiograms, vision and hearing screening, and the collection of specimens for laboratory testing and point of care.
* Participates in team-based care and patient education initiatives to support the health and wellness of patients in conjunction with the LIP/LPN/RN. Reinforces patient instruction as directed by LIP/LPN/RN.
* Participates in organizational and unit-based quality improvement initiatives and compliance readiness.
* Participates in telephone screening of patients, may provide instruction to patient when directed by the LIP/LPN/RN
* Participates in prescription management tasks including pending of new prescriptions and renewals requiring LIP approval, prior authorizations and medication reconciliation.
* Following approved clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) and workflows, sends appropriate orders for radiology, laboratory testing and other care needs requiring LIP authorization.
* Performs a variety of tasks, including those that may be facilitated by administrative staff, which have an effect on the overall operations of the unit. These include flow, stocking of rooms, scheduling tasks and all other duties as assigned. Should we take this out of this version since it is redundant? Its meant to be part of the regular MA job because they could be asked to occasionally do some of this work.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Answer and transfer telephone calls.
* Schedule and register patients for appointments/procedures, confirm appointments/procedures, prepare for patient visit by providing patient with all necessary information and completing all necessary tasks.
* Receive patient at arrival, verify and obtain all necessary information, and ensure forms are completed.
* Ensure all billing/fiscal information is completed and submitted after visit, including collection and daily reconciliation of any co-payments.
* Assist with special projects as directed.
* Assist with training and orienting staff as needed
* Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
* Appropriately utilizes organizational resources including management of time, supplies, equipment and other assets.
* Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
Beginning to intermediate knowledge and use of medical terminology.
Ability to accurately perform vital signs and obtain pertinent health information including but not limited to, temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, height, and weight.
Ability to participate in the medication reconciliation processes and related prescription management tasks, including prior authorizations.
Knowledge and ability to perform specific procedures and tests as appropriate to the clinical setting.
Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills in English. Communicates in a professional, courteous, clear and concise manner. Facilitates therapeutic relationships between patients, families and other members of the health care team.
Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or interoffice note, documentation of patient information) and to take complete and accurate messages.
Ability to telephonically support the practice by answering and screening calls, offering information within scope of practice to facilitate communication.
Ability to manage work processes in a neat and systematic way. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, appropriately prioritize clinical work, follow established policies, procedures and clinical practice guidelines, workflows.
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.