MEVA, Director of Student Services 5/5/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Maine Virtual Academy is seeking a Director of Student Services for grades 7-12, who is looking to grow his/her career in a virtual education setting. We have an excellent training program for staff new to teaching in a virtual school. Applicants must be very comfortable and skilled in utilizing technology. Staff must be able to commute to Augusta 5 days per week. This is not a work from home position. The position requires the ability to work from the school location in Augusta, throughout the school year. The ideal candidate is certified in his/her content area and has knowledge and training in middle/high school; is comfortable working in a technology rich environment; exhibits superior organizational and communication skills; is compassionate and student centered; and can participate effectively in a team environment. To supervise all services and programs for students with special needs at Maine Virtual Academy, including Special Education Services, accommodations under IDEA and ADA Section 504, Title 1A and programs for gifted and talented students.
Minimum Qualifications include:
* Master's degree or higher
* Director of Special Education Certificate (030) from the Maine Department of Education
* Current CHRC with State of Maine
* A minimum of five years of successful teaching experience in Special Education
* Supervise, coordinate and evaluate the school's programs and services for special education and gifted and talented students.
* Collect, analyze, and interpret data necessary to recommend programs for students eligible for special services, accommodations, and gifted and talented programs.
* Establish procedures to identify, place, evaluate and assess students eligible for special services.
* Assist with recruiting, interviewing and training of special education personnel and teachers for gifted and talented programs.
* Evaluate staff working in special education and gifted & talented programs.
* Explain policies and practices of special programs to parents, students, staff and the public.
* Supervise collection and retention of records and data for special services.
* Complete reports and forms required by state and federal rules relating to special services.
* Provide leadership necessary to implement new programs or policies relating to special education.
* Lead in developing curriculum and teaching methods for meeting the needs of special education and other students, including the gifted and talented.
* Maintain contact with public and private agencies and professional personnel whose services are necessary for students with special needs or disabilities.
* Assess the effectiveness of the school's IEP teams and ADA 504 teams.
* Chair IEP team meetings.
* Oversee the development of extended school year programing for special needs students.
* Assume responsibility for one's own professional growth
* Keep current with professional literature.
* Perform other necessary tasks assigned by the Head of School or by the Board
* Reports to the Head of School
The School and Terms of Employment
Maine Virtual Academy is a public on-line charter school available to all 7th through 12th graders in Maine. It has a statewide enrollment of 390 students about evenly distributed among the upper six grades. The school has been operating since September of 2015. Classes are taught on-line by Maine-based staff who report to a Head of School and a four-member local board.
All teachers and administrators work from an office in the Ballard Center in Augusta, Maine. The curriculum is from K12, a nation-wide on-line academic service company that provides technical support and access to courses needed for enrichment.
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability insurance. Our employees participate in the Maine State Retirement plan.
To apply submit the following documents to the Head of School/CEO Dr. Melinda Browne at Mbrowne@mainevirtual.org:
* Current CHRC certificate
* Letter of Introduction
* Copy of college transcripts
* 3 letters of recommendation.
Maine Virtual Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.