Molecular Diagnostics Technogist I/ 40 Hours/ Days/ BWH/ Pathology 6/4/2020
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Molecular Diagnostics Technologist I, in their role as Testing Personnel as defined by CLIA, may perform waived and non-waived testing. Under general supervision and working quite independently, carries out all policies and performs all tests in accordance with the departments standard operating procedures. Works independently in an efficient and organized manner to assure accurate results and records. The work requires a professional level of knowledge to read and accurately interpret test results. Protocols utilize a variety of molecular assays that are constantly evolving as the discipline develops, but includes PCR, RT-PCR, capillary gel electrophoresis, Sanger sequencing, multiplexed liquid bead microarray (Luminex), and Next Generation Sequencing.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Additional Responsibilities in collaboration with Clinical Supervisor, Technical Director and Medical Director:
1. Working quite independently, performs a variety of routine and highly complex molecular laboratory test protocols for diagnostic purposes on blood and other body fluids, according to laboratory policies, including evaluation of patient and control results for reporting. Maintains diagnostic viability of specimens received.
2. Responsible to follow the clinical laboratories procedures for specimen handling, specimen processing, test analyses, and reporting of patient results, including the handling and analysis of Proficiency Testing material.
3. Responsible for organizing and executing entire day workload, which will vary and require adjusting to the clinical specimens obtained each day. Must work with other technologists as a team. Reviews daily work including patient results, quality control and maintenance records for accuracy and completeness as applicable.
4. Responsible for maintaining laboratory instrumentation by ensuring that all assigned and as-needed instrument maintenance is performed on schedule in addition to quality control for all reagents.
5. Troubleshoots and assists in resolving problems in areas of responsibility with assistance of Clinical Laboratory Supervisor, Technical Director, and/or Medical Director.
6. Provides assistance to other technologists as needed in technical problems and interpretation of results in CAMD.
7. Responsible to document all corrective action procedures undertaken in CAMD.
8. Keep records of quality control, maintenance and workload data according to laboratory policies.
9. Assists in training for all testing personnel, as assigned. Assists in the orientation, training and of other staff and clinical students in CAMD. Documents training at the time of evaluations.
10. Assists in writing updated standard operating procedures and associated policies, procedures and objectives, including the areas of quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
11. Responsible for ordering and maintaining supplies and reagents required for CAMD testing.
12.Keeps current in developments in technical instrumentation and analytical techniques in clinical molecular biology. Participates in internal and external continuing education.
13. Participates in research, development and implementation of new testing procedures and panels as requested, in collaboration with Clinical Laboratory Supervisor, Technical Director and Medical Director. Recommends, evaluates and validates new methods, instrumentation, and/or procedures.
14. Assist with development and implementation of LIS enhancements and quality improvement initiatives.
15. Participates in Proficiency Testing program including the handling and analysis of Proficiency Testing material.
16. Promotes the mission and vision of Brigham and Womens Hospital and laboratories, and a spirit of professionalism and excellence in performance among the laboratory staff.
17. Is responsible to be aware of JC National Patient Safety Goals and to comply with BWH Hospital and Laboratory policies and procedures. Works closely with Technical Director to maintain compliance and keep current of JC standards and other regulatory standards.
18. Performs all other duties and responsibilities as directed.
1. Minimum of a Bachelors Degree of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology, Chemical, Physical, or biological science from an accredited institution, college or university OR other qualifications as described in the Federal Register, 42 CFR, Subpart M 493.1403 - 1495
2. 1-2 years' relevant experience
3. Coursework in molecular biology and/or genetics strongly preferred. MB (ASCP) or equivalent certification preferred but not required.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Ability and willingness to work under general supervision, follow instructions accurately and thoroughly and to take responsibility for ones actions
Must have a high level of analytical and technical ability to perform highly complex molecular biology techniques, operate complex laboratory equipment, maintain their performance, and resolve technical equipment problems.
Must have ability to make logical decisions, based on sound judgment and experience.
Must have an understanding of computer technology and its applications to analytical procedures and quality control.
Good oral and written communication skills. Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.