Nursing Support Associate / Med/Surg Float / 32 Hrs / Days 8/19/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Functions as a team member on a patient care unit with overall supervision by Nursing Director. In conjunction with other team members provides a friendly, comfortable and supportive environment for the patient during their hospital stay. Provides support services to direct care givers and patients through assuring a clean and ready environment, patient call light response, stocking and environmental support. Duties directly related to patients are provided with direction from RN.
PATIENT SUPPORT ACTIVITIES:
* Answers patient call lights, assists patients as needed or seeks out help if unable to meet patients needs
* Assists in providing a safe and comfortable patient environment
* Assures unoccupied rooms have all necessary working equipment and are ready for admission of patient
* Assists nursing staff in making occupied beds, and makes unoccupied beds according to procedure as requested
* Runs errands as directed
* Passing water pitchers to all patients as directed.
* Assists patients with using equipment in patients rooms (i.e. TV, telephone, and bed) and replaces as needed.
* Assists patients to gather belongings at time of discharge or transfer.
* Provides general assistance to patient by: reading mail, making phone calls, getting newspapers, etc.
* Utilizes principles of body mechanics to ensure safety of patients and avoid self-injury
* Assists with lifting, moving, transferring and walking patients as requested
* Assists in meeting nutritional needs of patients by serving and collecting diet trays.
* Feeds stable patients under the direction of RN.
* Completes lunch rounds at every meal
* Assists in transfer of patients from unit to unit
* Alerts direct care providers when patient requires positioning for meals. Assists as needed.
* Delivers sets up and collects dietary trays on assigned patients (for example patients with specific needs).
* Demonstrates appropriate actions for his/ her role relevant to fire and safety.
* Promotes customer service
* Reports patient complaints or problems to Nurse Director or Charge RN
PATIENT SITTING RESPONSIBILITY
* Performs as a sitter, monitoring patients on a one to one watch, Q 15-minute checks
* Follows and signs the presented sitter care plan
* Always remains awake and alert
* Attention is focused on patient at all times
* Never leaves patients unattended
* Remains aware of any patient behavioral changes and reports to nursing staff
* Maintains and monitors the Patient Care Unit supplies and equipment.
* Puts away supplies in the nurses station, treatment and utility rooms and other unit specific areas as assigned.
* Distributes daily supplies for direct care providers according to unit standard.
* Cleans patient equipment such as commodes, IV poles, infusion pumps and CPM machines and places in clean storage.
* Tags broken or damaged equipment, takes out of service and notifies appropriate department.
* Performs other supply related duties as assigned.
SAFETY, INFECTION CONTROL:
* Follows infection control standards in daily activities.
* Follows hospital policy and procedures regarding hospital and patient safety
* Establishes and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors, hospital personnel, and other customer groups.
* Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
HUMAN RESOURCES POLICIES:
* Adheres to standards established for attendance and is punctual.
* Adheres to Patient Care Services dress code standard.
* Wears employee name badge/picture identification.
* Adheres to all Human Resources policies of Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
* Communicates with customers and responds to their feedback by direct action and/or communication with management staff.
* High School graduation/equivalence required
* No prior experience necessary, however, some regular work experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Ability to concentrate and pay attention. Ability to read and write English. Must see, hear and speak well. Must be able to deal with different types of personalities and people with different cultural backgrounds. Also must be able to work with people who are different ages. Basic Computer Skills which may be obtained thru on the job training.
Newton-Wellesley Hospital will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran or active military status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.