OHVA- High School Science Teacher
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2020
END DATE 9/2/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONWHO ARE WE*
K12 Produces Results
Get To Know OHVA!
Ohio Virtual Academy
Behind The Scenes
A Day In The Life
K12 believes in education for everyone. We provide families an online option for a high-quality, personalized education experience. Students can thrive, find their passion, and learn in an environment that encourages discovery at their own pace. In support of this, we are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and diversity where our employees are passionate about serving students and families, treat one another and customers with respect, challenge each other to innovate and always strive to do better.
Passionate Educators are needed at the K12 partner school, Ohio Virtual Academy. We want you to be a part of our talented team!
The mission of Ohio Virtual Academy is to provide an exemplary individualized and engaging educational experience for students by incorporating school and community/family partnerships coupled with a rigorous curriculum along with a data-driven and student-centered instructional model. Student success will be measured by valid and reliable assessment data, parent and student satisfaction, and continued institutional growth within the academic community. Join us!
The Teacher is a highly qualified, state certified educator responsible for delivering specific course content in an online environment. Teachers provide instruction, support, and guidance, manage the learning process, and focus on students' individual needs. Teachers monitor student progress through K12's learning management system. They actively work closely with students and parents/Learning Coaches to advance each student's learning toward established goals. Teachers typically work from home but must travel occasionally throughout the year to various school functions, such as state testing or as otherwise required by the school.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations, as may be required by law, will be provided to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
* Takes ownership for student's academic progress and attendance, communicating high expectations and showing active interest in student's achievement;
* Prepares students for high stakes standardized tests;
* Conducts live Synchronous Teaching - minimum of 15 hours per week;
* Asynchronously supports objectives, including composing/sending emails, planning course objectives, preparing learning plans, and using data to determine student needs;
* Collaborates with others regarding instruction, resources, interventions and data related to OHVA student's needs as well as the professional development of the teacher;
* Under guidance from school administrative team, augments course content according to prescribed policies and procedures using appropriate asynchronous and synchronous tools;
* Submits grades and required student work ensuring student academic honesty and integrity; Maintains grade book; Makes placement and promotion decisions by generating formal and informal reports regarding student progress, alerting administrators to concerns about student performance and progress.
* Establishes and maintains positive rapport with families and regularly communicates with students and learning coaches/parents on an ongoing regular basis;
* Elementary Teachers support learning coaches/parents with student curricular and instructional issues in a virtual classroom environment, in line with academy policies and procedures;
* Supports students and learning coaches on a limited basis with basic computer questions when requested;
* Understands how both diverse and unique characteristics of students and their families impact required support;
* Works collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the stakeholders;
* Responds to students, parents and colleagues in timely manner.
Other Essential Functions
* Organizes social and educational activities for students and families, including sponsorship of virtual clubs, outings, or other extracurricular activities as required;
* Travels to testing sites to proctor state exams.
* Complies with all school policies and procedures, including Employee Manual
* Complies with all laws related to this position
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Certificates and Licenses: Appropriate Ohio state teaching certification.
* Must Live in Ohio, OR live in a bordering state (KY, WV, IN, MI, PA) within 50 miles of Ohio state border
* Minimum six (6) months of student teaching experience
* Bachelor's degree
* Appropriate state certification
* Meet requirements for Highly Qualified Teacher (HQT) in subject area under No Child Left Behind (NCLB)
* Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook
* Strong written/verbal communication skills
* Experience working with proposed age group
* Experience supporting adults and children in the use of technology
* Experience working in a virtual environment
* Experience teaching in an online (virtual) and/or in a brick and mortar environment
* Experience with Blackboard Collaborative, Newrow, or other online platforms
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This is a home-based position
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is "at-will" as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the "at-will" nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status age, or genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law.