Operating Room RN 6/5/2020
Campbell Clinic Orthopedics
Surgery Center Germantown, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION SUMMARY
Provides safe, quality patient care in the operating room for pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients in accordance with the established procedures of the Ambulatory Surgical Center.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
* Checks the schedule for any additions, changes, or cancellations
* Wipes down lights and all horizontal surfaces with disinfectant prior to the first case of the day
* Opens sterile supplies with the help of the surgical technician/nurse. Checks surgeon's card carefully with the surgical technician/nurse to see that everything is prepared for the case. Updates physician preference card(s) as needed
* Performs and documents initial and ongoing assessments on pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients
* Verifies patient identity
* Assesses health, physical and psychosocial status of the patient experiencing surgical intervention by collecting pertinent health data from their observation chart
* Reassesses patient as appropriate and/or according to policy
* Provides psychosocial care to patient
* Implements medical and nursing plans of care for patietnts which reflect pertinent age specific, physical, psychological, environmental and discharge planning factors
* Reports any unusual circumstances concerning the patient's condition or the procedure to the surgeon and/or anesthesiologist. Completes occurence report as indicated
* Assists anesthesiologist during induction
* Makes sure the surgical tech/nurse have everything they need before starting the prep, including pouring solutions, double-checking the local anesthesia with the surgical tech/nures, etc.
* Positions patient and performs surgical prep. Places grounding pad on patient's thigh, or on muscular area away from bony prominence. Make sure there is good contact between the patient's skin and the pad
* Connects bovie and suction, after patient is draped
* Checks all supplies for the next case. Leaves room only when necessary and for minimal periods. Is aware that a relief person must be available for all breaks, unless breaks in the schedule allow time between cases
* Relieves other nurses for breaks as assigned. Voluntarily helps other nurses or works overtime as needed
* Performs closing sponge and needle count. Places specimen in a container with formalin when indicated. Makes sure the specimen is labeled correctly. Gives frozen sections to pathologist without formail immediately upon excision
* Helps move patient from OR table. Physcian and nurse should accompany patient to the Recovery Room if needed, and if requested, giving the receiving nurse a report from the operating room
* Helps clean the room in preparation for the next case, if a case is immediately following
* Notifies Perioperative Coordinator at least half an hour before the next scheduled case if there will be delays on the following cases
* Participates with instrument processing and case cart preparation in Sterile Supply Decontamination
* Cleans and restocks the OR jointly with the surgical tech/nurse as needed. Wipes down all furniture/counters with disinfectant.
* Selects scheduled cases for the next day in Sterile Supply
* Knows the legal risks and implications of operating room nursing and is ready to assume them
* Responds as an OR Coordinator by coordinating activities of OR and other surgical staff members, as needed
* Recognizes and responds appropriately to patient and environmental safety factors. Monitors patient for safety-related issues. Provides patient instruction regarding safety issues
* Notifies appropriate authority of potential and actual safety hazards and takes immediate, proper intervention to correct
* Assists in ensuring that productivity and QI data is compiled and reports prepared for ASC management and regulatory bodies.
* Understands, applies, supports and follows department/ASC policies, procedures and standards at all times
* Regular and predictable attendance
* Ability to work in a cooperative manner with others
* Performs all other duties as assigned
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing required; BSN or equivalent preferred.
Experience: OR experience preferred.
Computer Skills: Must be computer literate. Basic computer skills required.
Certifications & Licenses: Current TN RN license required. Current CPR certification required. ACLS certification preferred.
Other Requirements: Must be able to read and interpret EKG monitor. Must have knowledge of anesthetic agents used - inhalation, moderate sedation and injection; the usual dosages, symptoms of and toxic amounts, duration of action, contra indications, antidotes, etc. Able to operate and troubleshoot equipment found in surgery.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled