ORVA, Student Support Advisor, SY 20/21 8/22/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY WHO ARE WE*
K12 Produces Results
Get To Know (ORVA) !
Oregon Virtual Academy
Behind The Scenes
A Day In The Life
K12 believes in education for everyone. We provide families an online option for a high-quality, personalized education experience. Students can thrive, find their passion, and learn in an environment that encourages discovery at their own pace. In support of this, we are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and diversity where our employees are passionate about serving students and families, treat one another and customers with respect, challenge each other to innovate and always strive to do better.
Passionate Educators are needed at the K12 partner school, Oregon Virtual Academy. We want you to be a part of our talented team!
The mission of Oregon Virtual Academy is to provide an exemplary individualized and engaging educational experience for students by incorporating school and community/family partnerships coupled with a rigorous curriculum along with a data-driven and student-centered instructional model. Student success will be measured by valid and reliable assessment data, parent and student satisfaction, and continued institutional growth within the academic community. Join us!.
The Teacher is a highly qualified, state certified educator responsible for delivering specific course content in an online environment. Teachers provide instruction, support, and guidance, manage the learning process, and focus on students' individual needs. Teachers monitor student progress through K12's learning management system. They actively work closely with students and parents/Learning Coaches to advance each student's learning toward established goals. Teachers typically work from home but must travel occasionally throughout the year to various school functions, such as state testing or as otherwise required by the school.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Oversees a caseload of students assigned to as the primary point of contact with the school
* Monitors student participation and works to contact students who do not attend; (Using the GO Outreach Box to identify SS struggles);
* Using Guided Outreach, or GO Box, ensures a Strong Start at the school and identifies students showing signs of academic decline as determined by course grades, log-ins, course activity and missing assignments, and initiates appropriate student support interventions;
* Arranges support conferences as needed to address performance concerns;
* Assists students in creating plans to Student Support plans;
* Oversees the onboarding process for assigned students;
* Moderates homeroom activities and facilitates Social Emotional Learning programs;
* Provides a reactive response to students who reach out for support;
* Provides proactive outreach to students identified at risk using GO Outreach Box;
* Provides ongoing re-registration support;
* Serves as a liaison between the student, Learning Coach and teachers to ensure that all school personnel understand how to contact and communicate with the student in a manner that builds ties between the student and the school;
* Provides outreach, training, and support to families who respond to Students First Check In surveys as it relates to family engagement to enhance the sense of community and belonging;
* Provides individualized attention and support to students and Learning Coaches identified for training gaps or requested networking within the school community;
* Serves as a point of contact for all non-instructional issues after placement, ensuring students have all necessary equipment and know both how and when to access their courses;
* Initiates meaningful contact by phone with students and their Learning Coach;
* Participates in the live online orientation sessions;
* Oversees weekly office hours/help sessions to support new families through the Strong Start process;
* Serves as a liaison between students and/or Learning Coaches and teachers and/or administration;
* Identifies school programs, resources, assistance to help each family make the most of what the schools have to offer;
* Increases professional knowledge and skills by attending required staff meetings; participating in school and K12 sponsored Professional Development and seeking other professional learning opportunities.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Do you strive to deliver excellent instruction, support, and guidance to students* Are you driven to focus on students' individual needs* Do you excel at managing the learning process*
If selected, you will participate in a year-long, comprehensive new teacher training and induction program that includes learning about K12 resources, our culture and how to work on our platforms. This program provides an opportunity to meet colleagues and learn the responsibilities required for delivering curriculum in an online environment. You will also learn how to monitor student progress through K12's learning management system, and to be a partner actively working with students and parents to advance each child's learning.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
* Two (2) years of college AND
* Two (2) years of experience in education OR
* Equivalent combination of education and related experience
Certificates and Licenses: Appropriate licensure if required by state.
Other Required Qualifications:
* Strong written and verbal communication skills;
* Excellent problem-solving skills;
* Organizations skills, multi-tasking abilities;
* Customer service focus;
* Adaptable and comfortable in a fast-paced work environment;
* Experience coordinating academically-oriented clubs and extra-curricular activities;
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); Web proficiency;
* Familiarity with the online learning experience;
* Ability to travel 25% of the time;
* Ability to pass required background check.
* Experience working with the proposed age group;
* Experience supporting adults and children in learning and the use of technology;
* An ability to learn new technology tools quickly (e.g. database and web-based tools);
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This is a home-based position but may require one or more days a week in this office as determined by the supervisor.
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is "at-will" as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the "at-will" nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status age, or genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law.