OVCA, High School English Teacher, SY 20/21 8/3/2020
Oklahoma City, OK
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY WHO ARE WE*
K12 Produces Results
Kudos And Honors
Get To Know (OVCA)!
Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy
Behind The Scenes
A Day In The Life
K12 believes in education for any one. We provide families an online option for a high-quality, personalized education experience. Students can thrive, find their passion, and learn in an environment that encourages discovery at their own pace. In support of this, we are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and diversity where our employees are passionate about serving students and families, treat one another and customers with respect, challenge each other to innovate and always strive to do better.
Passionate Educators are needed at the K12 partner school, OVCA. We want you to be a part of our talented team!
The mission of OVCA is to provide an exemplary individualized and engaging educational experience for students by incorporating school and community/family partnerships coupled with a rigorous curriculum along with a data-driven and student-centered instructional model. Student success will be measured by valid and reliable assessment data, parent and student satisfaction, and continued institutional growth within the academic community. Join us!.
The Teacher is a highly qualified, state certified educator responsible for delivering specific course content in an online environment. Teachers provide instruction, support and guidance, manage the learning process, and focus on students' individual needs. Teachers monitor student progress through K12's learning management system, and they actively work closely with students and parents/Learning Coaches to advance each student's learning toward established goals. Teachers typically work from home but must travel occasionally throughout the year to various school functions, for state testing and as may be otherwise required by the school.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Takes ownership for student's academic progress and attendance, communicating high expectations and showing active interest in student's achievement;
* Prepares students for high stakes standardized tests;
* Conducts live Synchronous Teaching - minimum of 15 hours per week;
* Asynchronously supports objectives, including composing/sending emails, planning course objectives, preparing learning plans, and using data to determine student needs;
* Collaborates with local/regional/ national teams regarding instruction, resources, interventions and data-driven decision making;
* Makes self open and available to be coached on a regular basis with administrators;
* Under guidance from principal augments course content according to prescribed policies and procedures using appropriate asynchronous and synchronous tools;
* Submits grades and required student work ensuring student academic honesty and integrity; Maintains grade book; Makes placement and promotion decisions by generating formal and informal reports regarding student progress, alerting administrators to concerns about student performance and progress.
* Establishes and maintains positive rapport with families and regularly communicates with students and learning coaches/parents on an ongoing regular basis;
* Elementary and Middle School Teachers support learning coaches/parents with student curricular and instructional issues in a virtual classroom environment, in line with academy policies and procedures;
* Supports students and learning coaches with the set-up and maintenance of their learning environment including basic computer troubleshooting;
* Understands how both diverse and unique characteristics of students and their families impact required support;
* Works collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the stakeholders;
* Responds to students, parents and colleagues in timely manner.
Other Essential Functions
* Organizes social and educational activities for students and families, including sponsorship of virtual clubs, outings, marketing events or other extracurricular activities as required;
* Travels to testing sites to proctor state exams.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Do you strive to deliver excellent instruction, support, and guidance to students* Are you driven to focus on students' individual needs* Do you excel at managing the learning process*
If selected, you will participate in a year-long, comprehensive new teacher training and induction program that includes learning about K12 resources, our culture and how to work on our platforms. This program provides an opportunity to meet colleagues and learn the responsibilities required for delivering curriculum in an online environment. You will also learn how to monitor student progress through K12's learning management system, and to be a partner actively working with students and parents to advance each child's learning.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree AND
* Six (6) months of student teaching experience AND
* Meet requirements for Highly Qualified Teacher (HQT) in subject area under No Child Left Behind (NCLB)
Certificates and Licenses:
* Appropriate state teaching certification.
Other Required Qualifications:
* Pedagogical knowledge of content being taught and ability to apply critical thinking
* Knowledge of state content standards and ability to align those with the K12 curriculum
* Ability to embrace change/ adapt to ensure excellent student outcomes
* Ability to problem solve independently and have a high level of organization
* Understanding of interdependency of deadlines on multiple projects and able to act to preserve integrity on other people's deadlines
* Ability to work independently typically 40+ hours per week
* Ability to maintain a professional home office without distraction during work day, typically 9-5 (or 8-4) or as defined by the school
* Ability to travel as required (on average once per month and/or approximately 20% of the time) for face to face professional development, student testing, tutoring and as required by school
* Access to reliable high speed internet
* Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word; PowerPoint;
* Ability to rapidly learn and adapt to new technologies and teaching platforms
* Ability to maintain teacher certification/professional development hours and fluency in K12 systems, programs and curriculum
* Ability to pass required background check
* Experience working with proposed age group
* Experience supporting adults and children in the use of technology
* Experience working in a virtual environment
* Experience teaching in an online (virtual) and/or in a brick and mortar environment
* Experience with Blackboard Collaborative or other online platforms
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This is a home-based position
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position.
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.