Patient Care Tech, Med Surg, Nights
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 7/4/2020
END DATE 7/12/2020
Memorial Hermann Health System
JOB DESCRIPTIONAt Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job Summary Position responsible for performing direct and indirect patient care as outlined in the Skills Inventory, under the direct or indirect supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Patient Care Tech, Med Surg, Nights
*Full time, 7pm-7am
*Rotating weekends/ holidays
*CNA andCPR required
*Phlebotomy experience required
*Acute Care Hospital or LTAC experience preferred
This Medicine unit has 40 beds with a 1:10 patient to PCA ratio
Education: High School DiplomaOrGED
* Certified in Basic Life Support OR Heartsaver CPR with AED within 90 days of employment; And one or more of the following:
* Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of Health;Or
* Nursing student having completed fundamentals of nursing;Or
* Completion of Patient Care Technician program (e.g. Brightwood College, St. David's Institute for Learning)Or
* Graduate of a foreign nursing program with nursing credentials/licensure in country of originOr
* Certified Medical AssistantOr
* Certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)Or
* Licensed ParamedicOr
* Completion of U.S. Military Hospital Corpsman training
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
* Three (3) years patient care experience in a designated specialty areaOr
* No experience if nursing student having completed fundamentals of nursing or
* No experience if completion of Patient Care Technician program (e.g. Brightwood College, St. David's Institute for Learning)Or
* No experience if honorably discharged from the Military Medical Corp within the past 24 monthsOr
* No experience if graduate from Medical Assistant or EMT (Intermediate Level) or Paramedic Program with at least 160 hours of extern clinical experience in a designated specialty area
* Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes
* Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or assigned procedures, including working knowledge of basic medical terminology and computer skills
* Demonstrated ability to perform duties with increased responsibilities
* Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged and/or extensive sitting, standing, and walking
* Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors, and staff
* Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of \\"we advance health\\" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
* Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues, and ensures clean and safe patient environment; seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to nurse or charge nurse.
* Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment.
* Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes; follows safety rules; works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors; and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
* Considers the diverse needs of each patient, providing and ensuring the highest level of service according to established service standards, optimizing the patient experience.
* Promotes a safe and accountable environment; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards, being a good steward of resources, including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
* Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; may serve as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
* Performs other duties as assigned within scope of responsibility and clinical competency.
* Performs appropriate advanced indirect and direct patient care at a competent level as directed by a licensed clinician within the scope of hospital-approved skills inventory according to the needs/age of the patient/population served including phlebotomy and EKG; assists with planning and implementing direct patient care; documents care provided in patient medical record in accordance with hospital policies/procedures.
* Assists personnel in meeting patient/family learning needs; maintains communication with physicians and healthcare team members to ensure quality of care; coordinates schedules of diagnostic testing.
* Performs assigned treatments as directed; prepares patient for meals and feeds them; performs/assists with baths; maintains patient rooms in orderly fashion; serves as Unit Clerk and/or monitors patients as assigned.
* Identifies and responds to abnormal findings, pertinent changes in the patient's condition reporting such to the patient's nurse or charge nurse immediately; charts observations and activities.
* Transports patients as needed to and from various destinations; assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers.
* Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors, adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity of service.
* Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
* Other duties as assigned.