Patient Observer (24 Hour, Evening)- Emergency Department 6/3/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SHIFT:
Evening shift- 3pm-11pm
Requires holiday and weekend commitment
The ED Patient Observer provides constant observation for patients identified as a risk to themselves or others. The ED Patient Observer functions under the direction of the Registered Nurse and is responsible for providing specific care-related tasks in accordance with the individual needs of the patient, maintaining patient confidentiality and information at all times. All nursing care is provided by the Emergency departments nursing staff. When not observing patients, the ED Patient Observer may be asked to provide other ancillary activities such as escorting patients and families back to treatment area.
Relevant activities include, but are not limited to the following:
* Assures a safe care environment for assigned patients and notifies RN of any concerns
* Receives nursing handoff at beginning of shift regarding reason for observation with specific important information. Provides/Receives handoffs to/from Observer and RN with each change of observer and RN
* Observes patient for obvious changes in behavior and conditions including attempts to leave the ED and notifies responsible RN
* Completes appropriate documentation
* Ensures patient is not pulling out any lines/tubes
* Alerts the appropriate RN and PCA to assist when call light is triggered
* Assists patient in the event of a fall and alerts and reports changes immediately to the responsible RN
* Under the direction of the responsible RN:
* Accompanies and assists patient when walking
* Pushes patient in wheelchair
* Engages patient in diversional activities
* May assist non-behavioral patients with amenities such as providing blankets, food and drink, and assistance with wayfinding
HS Diploma, GED or equivalent required Some college or Associate's Degree preferred
Pre-med or pre-nursing students who are interested in gaining clinical experience before pursuing further education are encouraged to apply.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.