Patient Services Representative- Primary Care Baytown
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 6/4/2020
END DATE 8/7/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
At Houston Methodist, the Patient Services Representative is responsible for performing patient check in/check out functions and appointment scheduling to facilitate the patient visit experience. This position supports timely, accurate claims submission and may perform registration and/or other revenue cycle functions. Other duties include providing general operations assistance and/or patient service tasks specific to the scope of the department.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 35%
1. Contributes to a positive work environment and to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
2. Performs patient check in/check out functions. Obtains and inputs accurate scheduling and registration data to initiate financial clearance activities as needed.
3. Coordinates patient flow as directed with consistency, timeliness, and expert skill while meeting appropriate priority standards. Provides appropriate notification of issues that may result in service delays or denials. Handles add-ons, reschedules, and cancellations appropriately and as per department protocol.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Uses excellent communication skills (verbal, non-verbal, written) to facilitate providing the highest quality service during every patient, physician, guest, employee, or other encounter. Responds promptly to requests by staff, patients, physicians, and other members of the patient care team. Recognizes and responds appropriately to urgent/emergent situations per protocols.
2. Contributes to patient, employee and physician satisfaction as well as effective revenue cycle process.
3. Generates reports and assists with department correspondence. Provides other administrative assistance as directed.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15%
1. Communicates to resolve patient access and quality service matters. Keeps open channels of communication with physician, patient, and service areas regarding action taken and resolution.
2. Enters patient and operational data into various database systems with a high level of thoroughness, accuracy and timeliness.
3. Ensures patient information is conveyed to others appropriately while complying with patient confidentiality and HIPAA regulations. May assist clinical staff as per scope of the treatment center.
FINANCE - 20%
1. Accurately records information when performing functions such as charge entry, registration, scheduling, insurance verification/coordination, or obtaining authorizations or referrals to ensure financial objectives are met. Conducts front end revenue cycle duties as directed. Educates patients and others regarding billing processes and potential financial responsibilities as necessary.
2. Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and sets priorities. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
3. Uses department resources/equipment/supplies properly and efficiently. Participates in inventory management by taking action to ensure supply levels are adequate.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that will improve quality or service.
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o One year of healthcare or related experience
o Experience in a healthcare related work environment preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Strong customer service, phone and scheduling skills
o Basic computer skills in word processing applications and ability to utilize software systems such as the electronic medical record
o Knowledge of basic medical terminology
o Ability to analyze and solve problems
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Ability to flex hours to meet operational needs related to unanticipated volume changes or problems
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
With locations throughout the Greater Houston area, Houston Methodist Primary Care Group (HMPCG) is dedicated to providing quality patient care for the entire family. HMPCG is proud to be a part of Houston Methodist and its family of hospitals, ensuring efficient access to specialty and hospital services whenever the need arises. As members