Pavilion Chef / per diem / BWH Food Service
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2019
END DATE 2/26/2020
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAs a pavilion chef your expertise will extend beyond the kitchen to create an atmosphere of fine dining with uncompromising customer service. You will be motivated beyond your potential. We will provide the training and support that it takes to develop your talent to the next level.
You will determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of service. Direct the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of soups, salads, meats, fish, vegetables, desserts, or other gourmet foods. Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met. You will collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, considering such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients and the likely number of customers. Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients. Record production and operational data on specified forms. Along with keeping records and accounts on guest billing, you will order, or requisition food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation. You will maintain appropriate temperature and quality of food items, be responsible for safe and sanitary maintenance of work area and equipment and must participate in checking all purchased supplies for quality and account for each delivered item.
Demonstrates behavior that is professional, ethical and responsible. Works in harmony with managers, staff and food service personnel. Follows attendance policy as assigned by administration.
* Knowledge of diets to assure accuracy in patient meal planning.
* Meet with patients and their families to discuss menu for special occasions.
* Coordinate activities in tearoom, engage in food preparation for special events.
* Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
* Instruct other food service workers in the preparation, garnishing, and presentation of food.
* Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of food services.
* Assist with supervision and training of Pavilion food service employees, promoting efficiency and teamwork.
* Maintain a safe and hazard-free working environment.
* Be responsible for overseeing that each room receives the following items: welcome basket, completely stocked refrigerator, and menus for both the patient and family members prior to the patient arrival on the floor.
* Greet patient and family members upon arrival and explain the pavilion concept of upscale dining and our billing process.
* Oversee all menu requests and review all patients diets with diet technician.
* Read and interpret production sheets and recipes for food products at assigned station.
* Prepare, cook and season all food items in accordance with recipes and quality standards, using available equipment.
* Test food temperature and quality using thermometer and by tasting (according to established standard).
* Portion food according to standards using scales, appropriate serving equipment, and portion control guidelines. Serve when needed.
* Assure maintenance of safe temperature of foods during holding periods.
* Be responsible for continuous cleaning and appearance of kitchen and tearoom.
* Adhere to safety and sanitation standards to safeguard well being of pavilion patients, family members and co-workers.
* Responsible for assisting with the cleaning and maintenance of production equipment, i.e. Mixers, ovens, slicers, choppers, etc.
* Record daily production for record keeping.
* always Uphold hospital and departmental policies and procedures to comply with city, state, and JCAHO guidelines.
* Participates in training programs of new employees.
* Supervisor in the absent of the lead chef.
* Performs other duties as required or assigned to assure quality food service.
* High school graduate who reads, writes, and speaks English, and has basic knowledge of math.
* Must have a minimum of 3-5 years cooking experience with a catering department or four-star restaurant working various stations. Able to supervise and coordinating the activities of staff to prepare, cook and present food according to scheduled times set by patients and family members for food service.
* Must be certified in SERV-SAVE from any State Board of Health Department.
* Reads and interprets production work sheets and follows hotel and restaurant- style recipes for the preparation of food produced at an assigned production work center.
* Requires written skill to record on the production work centers production work sheet, the amount of productivity accomplished during the manning of the center.
* Tests food with a thermometer and by smelling and tasting to maintain departmental standards for quality assurance and protection of patient from bacteria, chemical and physical food contamination.
* Portions food according to standards mandated by JCAHO and department and assures maintenance of safe temperature to comply with federal, state and city health regulations.
* Must possess enough courtesy and tact to maintain pleasant and cooperative relations with patients, guests, supervisors and co-workers.
* Knows the operational and sanitizing procedures for all equipment used in producing patient food in the production area.
* Must be able to follow the directions of the shift lead cook in performing other duties as required or assigned by the shift lead cook to assure quality patient food service.
* Follows applied food service sanitation standards in maintaining the equipment and production work center during time assigned to the area.
* May be involved in working with and training new personnel in meal portioning procedures.
* In conjunction with, and supervised by the shift lead cook, contributes to the manufacturing of ethnic, blended, low sodium, low fat special needs patient meals.
* Duties are generally procedures allowing employee to perform independently with intermittent supervision, in conformance with written and verbal instructions, while taking into consideration established schedules and pre-determined priorities.
* always Upholds hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
Work with frequent interruption. Maintain emotional control under stress.
Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
Prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions.
Occasional lifting to 50 pounds.
Mentally alert, able to learn and apply new methods in all areas.
Is an initator, makes suggestions for improvement, and is flexible and willing to make changes.
Works in production work centers where there are physical discomforts.
Due to noise levels from machines operation, slippery floors, overflowing floor drains live steam from kettles and steamers, caustic chemicals.
Required to constantly enter freezers and refrigerators with a temperature variance 20 to 40 degrees F.
In the absent of the manager may range 0 to 4FTE Cooks, and 1 to 4 FTE Food Service Attendants.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.