Phlebotomist Specimen Processor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 6/4/2020
END DATE 8/5/2020
You bring your body, mind, heart and spirit to your work as a Phlebotomist / Specimen Processor.
Your compassion is tangible: patients feel it in the hand they hold. Families feel it in your prayers. Colleagues feel it in your support.
Youre equally comfortable with performing inpatient and outpatient venipunctures, performing data entry, and assisting with reception desk responsibilities.
Youre great at what you do, but you want to be part of something even greater. Because you believe that while individuals can be strong, the right team is invincible.
Good Samaritan Medical Center is part of SCL Health, a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization that focuses on person-centered care. At our 234-bed Level II Trauma Center, our mission is to bring health and hope to the poor, the vulnerable, our communities and each other. Were especially proud of our people, who helped make us one of Americas 100 Best Hospitals according to Healthgrades.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, weve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health. Healthy Living includes financial incentives, digital tools, tobacco cessation, classes, counseling and paid time off. We also offer financial wellness tools and retirement planning.
Together well align mission and careers, values and workplace. Well encourage joy and take pride in our integrity.
Well laugh at each others jokes (even the bad ones). Well hello and high five. Well celebrate milestones and acknowledge the value of spirituality in healing.
Were proud of what we know, which includes how much there is to learn.
As a Phlebotomist / Specimen Processer you need to know how to:
* Perform phlebotomy (venipuncture, fingerstick, heelstick) according to established procedures. Identify patients using two patient identifiers. Label specimens and specimen containers accurately.
* Determine the correct priority for STAT, Routine, ASAP, etc. specimen collections. Collect and receive specimens into the laboratory utilizing computer protocols including processing, preparation, centrifugation, aliquot and routing of specimens, to include reference lab. Ensure the timely transport and processing of all patient specimens for testing.
* File patient lab reports, requisitions charges for the business office and send reports to outside hospitals and clinics. Post charges and reconcile invoices. Investigate complex bills, as needed. Research and resolve any questionable patient orders. Enter patient demographic data accurately. Maintain required lab records and logs, collect statistics for reports and other clerical duties as directed by manager.
* Perform complex specimen set-up. Enter complex orders and results. Pack and ship infectious materials. Communicate any special situations related to specimens or testing with all appropriate staff and management.
* Clean and maintain equipment, centrifuges, and refrigerators. Record daily temperatures of all refrigerators in the phlebotomy areas. Order supplies and maintain sufficient inventory to efficiently operate phlebotomy services. Assist in the training of new associates and students. Act as a receptionist, greeting patients and answering phones within the laboratory. Perform patient registration and test ordering and specimen processing as appropriate.
* Document and communicate information thoroughly and accurately. Utilize equipment according to departmental guidelines, maintaining all equipment as per guidelines. Ensure equipment and supplies are maintained in appropriate working order. Evaluate and utilize inventory appropriately, assist with inventory control as needed.
* Maintain a neat and clean work area. Dispose of waste appropriately. Clean bench areas and equipment. Restock supplies as appropriate. Maintain the washroom and perform washroom functions as appropriate.
We hire people, not resumes. But we also expect excellence, which is why we require:
* High School Diploma or equivalent, required
* Current Registered Phlebotomy Technician (RPT) or Phlebotomy Technician (PBT) ASCP certification, preferred
* At least six (6) months of laboratory experience, preferred
YOUR NEXT MOVE.
Now that you know more about being a Phlebotomist / Specimen Processor on our team we hope youll join us. At SCL Health youll reaffirm every day how much you love this work, and why you were called to it in the first place.
Our facilities do not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, or age in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs, services or activities, or on the basis of sex (gender) in health programs and activities