Physicians Assistant - Critical Care 5/2/2020
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital Req ID: 64401
Employment Status: Regular - Full Time JOB SUMMARY
Under the supervision of an attending physician, the Front Line Ordering Clinician (FLOC) Physician Assistant is responsible for the direct care and follow-up of a population of patients that matches his/her scope of practice and skill set. This care is delivered in defined inpatient and hospital-outpatient areas. The components of the role include clinical practice, consultation, professional development, education, and research. The PAs in these roles may be required to have acute/critical care education. The appropriate education will be determined by the scope of the role in a particular practice area. The clinical portion of this role will require increased level of accountability including managing a cohort of high acuity patients. In addition to managing patient care, the FLOC PA may be required to utilize invasive interventions and procedures to promote physiologic stability. The role will also include off-shift responsibility. The off shift rotation schedule may include days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays and will be determined by the clinical needs of the practice environment. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
* Assesses the complex acute, critical and chronically ill patient for urgent and emergent conditions. Uses relevant data to evaluate for physiologic instability. Utilizes the data to formulate a plan of care.
* Performs therapeutic interventions to stabilize acute and critical health problems. Specific interventions are listed in the Scope of Practice Document and approved as a part of the credentialing/privileging process.
* Analyzes the indications, contraindications, risk of complications and cost-benefits of therapeutic interventions.
* Manages the plan of care through evaluation, modification and documentation according to the patient s response to therapy. Manages changes in condition with a focus on optimizing the patient outcomes.
* Incorporates health promotion, health protection and injury prevention measures into the plan of care within the context of the complex acute, critical and chronic illness.
* Facilitates the patient s transitions between and within health care settings.
* Serves as an educational resource to the patient/family, nursing staff, and provider team. Acts as a consultant to multidisciplinary health care team members.
* Participates in scholarly activities including research and education. Participates in own professional development by maintaining required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking appropriate educational offerings. Participates in the professional development of others. Acts as a preceptor and mentor to support the development of nurses, nurse practitioners, students, and other health care providers.
* Demonstrates a commitment to patient safety by speaking up about safety issues and changing practice to enhance safety. Shares errors or potential errors through system reporting mechanisms. Demonstrates shared accountability for safe practice.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (CONTINUED)
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (CONTINUED)
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, REGISTRATIONS
NCCPA - National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
PA - Physician Assistant (Practice Location)
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education: Bachelor s/Master s/Doctorate as applicable to correlating physician assistant program. PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERT/LIC
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
* Ability to work in an inter-professional team setting with multiple responsibilities.
* Ability to use computer and electronic medical records effectively.
Refer to Scope of Practice Document and Clinical Responsibilities Checklist for specific requirements of role.
* Basic use of a computer (mouse, keyboard, printer, USB ports).
* Basic use of Microsoft Office (Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and Skype).
* Web browsing, intranet search, document access.
* Use of shared network file space.
* Basic use of patient facing technology. (e.g. IV pumps, point of care devices, CR monitors).
* Navigation and use of clinical communication systems.
* Determines the nature and extent of clinical information needed and uses the appropriate technology to access it.
* Accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
* Evaluates information and its sources critically and appropriately incorporates it into clinical practice.
* Evaluates outcomes of the use of information.
Information Management Literacy
* Navigation of the electronic health record system.
* Ability to locate and review specific patient data in various clinical information systems.
* Effectively uses clinical decision support tools.
* Understands policies and procedures, confidentiality, security, and privacy regulations regarding the use of clinical information systems.
* Ability to collect clinical data using quality improvement tools.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children\'s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146