Polymer/Soft Matter Dynamics - R&D Associate 8/21/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 3967
We have an immediate opening for an R&D Associate to conduct fundamental studies on dynamics of soft matter, and more specifically on characterization of structure, dynamics and rheology of polymers. The topics of the research include, among others, dynamics and rheology of polymers with dynamic bonds, polymer nanocomposites, conductivity of polymer electrolytes and ionic liquids. The research will entail Broadband Dielectric spectroscopy and rheology, light, neutron and X-ray scattering studies of novel synthesized polymers and ionic liquids, ion and molecular transport in these materials. This position resides in the Soft Materials Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD), and assumes active collaborations with Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) and Neutron Scattering Facilities at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
- Lead physical characterization of novel synthesized polymers and liquids.
- Experimental studies of polymers and liquids using Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy and rheology.
- Experimental studies of dynamics and structure using Neutron, Light and X-ray scattering techniques.
- Study the structure-property relationships of polymeric materials and hybrid materials, including morphology, dynamics and mechanical properties, with a special focus on materials with dynamic bonds.
- To be responsible for the dielectric spectroscopy, rheology and light scattering setup.
- Responsible for presenting and reporting research results and publishing scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- Ph.D. in Physics, Polymer Science and Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering or closely related field with at least two years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated expertise in polymer physics and characterization, dynamics of liquids.
- Experience in at least two of the following experimental techniques: (1) Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy; (2) Light Scattering; (3) Rheology; (4) Neutron Scattering.
- Knowledge and expertise in mechanical characterization of polymers, like rheology and DMA
- Knowledge and expertise in NMR, especially in diffusion studies with NMR
- Knowledge and expertise in Raman, Brillouin spectroscopy and Dynamic Light Scattering.
- Knowledge and expertise in polymer morphology and their characterization techniques such as SAXS, SANS, AFM, SEM and TEM
- Knowledge and expertise in glass transition, dynamics of soft materials in general
- Ability to write research proposals
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently to accomplish project goals
- Participate creatively in solving problems and refining projects directions
- Work collaboratively in a team environment and interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues
- An excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Safety conscious
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.