Postdoctoral Research Associate - Automating Quantum-Classical Computing 5/6/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 254
Pay Band: Postdoc
Relocation: Domestic and International relocation services are available.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the United States Department of Energy's largest science and energy laboratory tasked to provide the United States government agencies and departments with technology and expertise to support national and homeland security needs.
Our diverse capabilities span scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
We invite applications for a postdoctoral appointment in Quantum Information Science within the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division.
This position is part of ORNL s Quantum Information Science group which applies the principles and techniques of quantum physics to real-world problems in communication, computing, and sensing. More information on the group s activities may be found at, https://www.ornl.gov/division/csed/quantum-information .
The position is a part of the DOE-funded Quantum Computing Application Team s project Software Stack and Algorithms for Automating Quantum-Classical Computing . The project s objective is to address the problem of translating scientific applications into functional quantum programs that return accurate results when executed on faulty hardware. In this role, you will perform research in the design and development of heterogenous quantum-classical programming language and programming models. The successful applicant will be at the cutting edge of quantum computing science research and lead in the development of quantum algorithm language constructs and associated compilers and enable large-scale quantum program verification via pre-exascale and exascale modeling and simulation activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with highly diverse and multidisciplinary teams to develop language constructs for quantum software and algorithm development, quantum-classical program verification and validation, and quantum application benchmarking
- Communicate findings and results to international audiences through written publications and oral presentations
- Contribute to the development of open source software
- Engage in professional development including independent research, team building, networking, and proposal writing
- A PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline completed within the last five years
- 3+ years of experience in modern object-oriented C++
- Experience with modern software development methodologies
- Experience developing language specifications for parallel programming models such as OpenMP, OpenACC, and OpenMPI
- Experience in high-performance computing and node-level and distributed heterogeneous parallelism, for example using MPI, OpenMP, and OpenACC
- Experience with extensible compiler infrastructures like LLVM/Clang and parser generation libraries like Antlr
- An excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to a scientific audience
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative and multi-disciplinary teams of researchers
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
Moving is stressful and expensive, and UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.