Postdoctoral Research Associate - Electric Energy Systems Integration 5/5/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 2163
The Electric Energy Systems Integration Group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking applicants for a power electronics post-doctoral position to conduct research on power grid related power electronics. The successful candidate will be capable of performing design and development of wide bandgap semiconductor device based power electronics systems for energy storage, PV integration and, power flow control. The candidate will contribute to hardware-in-the-loop systems development for evaluation of grid-tied power electronics. Candidate will assist in development of control of power electronics systems.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
- Conduct R&D projects and help the expansion of R&D to take advantage of our multidisciplinary capabilities, multimodal strengths, and unique tools and capabilities.
- Be familiar with the state of the art in power electronics technology. Be versant with use of wide bandgap semiconductor devices and/or hardware-in-the-loop systems.
- Capable of carrying designs through to prototype build and test.
- Network and develop collaborative R&D with other groups and divisions internally and with DOE, the industry, and the utilities.
- Prepare new proposals to the internal and external funding agencies.
- Have good oral and written skills so that they can prepare and present research results to sponsors, peer reviewers, industry partners and others and at technical meetings such as IEEE sponsored conferences.
- A Ph.D. in electrical engineering with a focus on one or more of the following: high-voltage wide bandgap semiconductor-based power electronic converters, hardware-in-loop systems (like Opal-RT), advanced modeling and control of power electronics systems, FPGA expertise.
- Experience with advanced power semiconductor technology and its applications for grid.
- Hands on laboratory experience performing testing and analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to make presentations to sponsors and others and to prepare reports, proposals, and publications/journal articles.
- Strong interpersonal skills to support team building and leadership.
- A publication history in prestigious international conferences and journals.
- Demonstrated publication record of scientific results in either peer-reviewed journals, or presentations at national meetings, are expected.
- Prior work experience with power electronic vendors will be valued for this position.
- A strong commitment to scientific integrity is an important requirement.
Applicants cannot have received the most recent degree more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. Appointments will initially be for 24 months with a possibility of an
extension of up to 12 months. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
Some travel will be required for this position.
No clearance is required.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.