Postdoctoral Research Associate in Computational Science for Large-Scale Simulations 5/6/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 2587
Oak Ridge National Laboratory's Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate conducts state-of-the-art research and development in computer and computational sciences in support of DOE's missions and programs. We develop and deploy leading edge computing and information technology capabilities to keep computational sciences at a level comparable to experimental sciences in the pursuit of scientific discovery and technical innovation.
The Computational Engineering and Energy Sciences Group is seeking postdoctoral research associates to aide in the design and development of large-scale parallel computer simulation environments for applied problems.
- Collaboration within a multi-disciplinary research environment consisting of computational scientists, computer scientists, experimentalists, and engineers/physicists conducting basic and applied research in support of the Laboratory s missions.
- Participating in the design and architecture of integrated, multi-scale, coupled-physics computer codes, design and implementation of scalable numerical methods, uncertainty quantification, collaboration with experts from various scientific disciplines on coupled-physics issues, and following team planning, documentation, verification and validation, and software quality processes.
- Application areas of particular interest include computational fluid dynamics (including low-speed, incompressible, free-surface flows, multi-phase and multi-component reacting flows, and high-speed, low-density flows), design and analysis of nuclear energy systems, advanced electrochemical storage systems (batteries), electronic structure calculations (DFT), and microstructure evolution encountered in additive manufacturing (3D printing) including solidification and post-heat treatment, and other manufacturing processes including sintering, welding, etc.
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports for internal and external release as well as represent the organization via technical presentations in workshops and conferences.
Ph.D. in physics, applied mathematics, or a field relevant to the job duties.
Expertise in one or more areas relevant to simulations of interest such as:
- computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- coupled multi-scale physics methods
- adaptive mesh refinement (AMR)
- differencing schemes in unstructured and/or AMR meshes
- numerical linear and/or non-linear algebra including large scale eigenvalue problems and preconditioned Krylov methods
- high-order time integration
- processing-microstructure relationships for metallic alloys
- model reduction, stiffness reduction and uncertainty quantification techniques for coupling detailed chemical kinetic models with reacting flow software
- advanced verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification methodologies
- Demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of numerical algorithms in one or more high-level computing languages (e.g. C++, Fortran, Python).
Q clearance with SCI: This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an Secret Compartmental Investigation (SCI) clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. In addition, due the SCI, you may be also be subject to random polygraph testing.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary research environment that follows modern software quality standards (version control, unit testing, continuous integration, etc.).
- Experience in the development of large-scale physics simulation codes, including computational scaling and efficiency, for hybrid multi-petascale supercomputing systems.
- Software design education or experience, including generic programming, object-oriented analysis, and scripting languages.
- Understanding of verification and validation, the relationship between theory, experiments, and simulation, and visualization and interpretation of simulation data using domain knowledge.
- Parallel algorithm and software development, including message-passing (MPI) and programming models (e.g. CUDA, OpenMP, Kokkos, OpenCL) for multicore and heterogeneous architectures such as graphical processing units (GPUs).
- Experience with open source numerical libraries such as Trilinos, PETSc, Hypre, and Sundials and physics software such as OpenFOAM and Cantera.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, a proven publication record, and effective interpersonal skills.
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.