Power Electronics Engineer 6/4/2020
Rocket Lab USA
Long Beach, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY About the Role
At Rocket Lab, we believe the future will be defined and enabled by access to space. As a world leader in launch and space systems, we re making that future a reality and enabling the ideas of tomorrow to reach orbit today. We re unlocking the potential of space and ushering in a new era of opportunity and exploration for the benefit of humankind.
This is a rare opportunity within Rocket Lab to play a pivotal role in supporting NASA in its mission to land the first woman and next man on the Moon by 2024. Our Electron launch vehicle and Photon satellite bus have been selected by NASA to launch a pathfinding mission to lunar orbit in 2021. The historic mission will lay the groundwork for the Lunar Gateway, paving the way for future human missions to the Moon and further exploration of our solar system. The Moon is just the beginning, so now is your chance to play a key role in shaping our long-term exploration plans.
As the Power Electronics Engineer supporting the Photon program you will have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given the high launch cadence of Electron, have unparalleled opportunities for end-to-end system development and on-orbit operations. Your team-mates and mentors are the people who designed and built Rocket Lab s world-first launch and space systems from the ground up. You ll have the opportunity to grow your career in a fast-paced, innovative environment, while working alongside dedicated colleagues who support each other every step of the way.
Power Electronics Engineer
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on the electrical power system (EPS) of its Photon satellites. The Power Electronics Engineer will be responsible for the design, development, and test of various avionics components involved in battery charging via solar power, power distribution, and power control. The successful candidate will be comfortable with all aspects of design, assembly, integration, and testing and will have prior experience with in-space power systems.
* Develop & Implement the power control system for a space vehicle.
* Develop schematic and layouts, working with both internal team members and external vendors.
* Develop, in collaboration with SW & embedded systems teams, software and firmware.
* Develop methods for and participate in hardware testing.
* Perform trade studies on architecture and implementation options.
* Collaborate with other team members and technical disciplines in developing requirements and managing interfaces with other vehicle elements.
Required Skills & Experience
* 5+ years experience in the development of power control and other embedded systems.
* Solar panel and battery charging experience.
* Ability to take a concept from requirements through design, build, test, production, and operations.
* FPGA design experience.
* Schematic and layout (Altium designer, preferred not required).
* Document management and systems engineering exposure.
* Lab testing of both developmental and production-level PCB s.
* Experience working with subcontractors and vendors.
* Ability to work independently and successfully manage multiple priorities.
Desired Skills & Experience
* Previous experience leading a team.
* Prior experience with the implementation of peak power tracking architectures.
* Experience with radiation mitigation methods.
* Experience with thermal design techniques for in-space hardware.
* Experience with common standards and best practices for designing hardware for in-space use.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.