Principal Engineer 6/5/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB DESCRIPTION
CIRCOR International, Inc. designs, manufactures and markets differentiated technology products and sub-systems for markets including oil & gas, industrial, aerospace & defense and commercial marine. CIRCOR has a diversified flow and motion control product portfolio with recognized, market-leading brands that fulfill its customers mission critical needs. The Company s strategy is to grow organically and through complementary acquisitions; simplify CIRCOR s operations; achieve world class operational excellence; and attract and retain top talent.
CIRCOR Naval Solutions Division located in Warren, MA is part of the Aerospace and Defense segment of CIRCOR International. The Warren location includes pumps under the Warren Pumps Brand and valves under the Portland brand. Warren Pumps started in 1897 and focuses on highly engineered and custom-built pumps made of a wide variety of exotic materials in both centrifugal and positive displacement technologies. Portland Valve products include a broad range of specialized valves for various shipboard services. Both companies focus on the Submarine, Carrier and Destroyer programs in a number of critical fluid applications.
BUSINESS: CIRCOR Naval Solutions
LOCATION: Warren, MA
DIRECT REPORTING: Director of Engineering
FUNCTIONAL REPORTING: Head of Technology
The Principal Engineer will efficiently utilize computer-aided engineering (CAE) systems and other analysis tools to design new products, and revised versions of existing products, in order to increase customer value and satisfaction, and to increase sales revenue, profits and cash flow.
In addition, they deliver:
* Technical leadership for product development teams,
* Management of technical documentation;
* Measures and control of overall quality and cost of products: and,
* Plans for correct processes, methods, tooling and equipment, so product parts can be made in-house, or at an identified external supplier, at required quality and in a safe and cost-effective manner
* He or she will work with the Director of Engineering to leverage all engineering resources in order to enable the accomplishments of the business strategic objectives and tactical goals for Warren Products.
* Develops design specifications, analysis methods, design verification and product validation methods, development plans and structures necessary for translating engineering theory into new product designs
* Performs analysis of new design concepts, adapts concepts for success and produces analysis reports. Performs design verification and validation of custom order projects.
* Creates CAE models, drawings, layouts, assembly instructions / visual guides, test specifications, bills-of materials and reports, which lead to the release of products which please our customers.
* Completes drawing checks and tolerance stack-ups, and champions the use and application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
* Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of relevant specifications, codes, directives, guidelines which are related to the projects being undertaken, particularly related to safety and compliance with government laws.
* Initiates and contributes to the creation of installation and operation instructions, care and maintenance instructions, assembly, visual aids and other documentation intended for distribution to our customers.
* Studies designs while seeking ways to improve value and reduce cost in the products, in order to increase competitive advantage and meet or exceed cost reduction targets.
* Strives to develop technical expertise in the understanding and application of advanced concepts, principles, and methods, as assigned.
* Interprets, organizes, executes and coordinates the timely completion of assignments.
* Performs Pre- and Post-sale customer support as required.
* Works with Director of Engineering and other internal customers in different departments to develop and improve the Warren engineering policies and procedures. Participate in the development and improvement of these policies while trying to standardize them with corporate engineering policies.
* Develops expertise in important techniques and tools, including CBS, MCAE, Six Sigma, Kaizen, DFMEA, PPAP, VA/VE, etc. Develops new analysis methods, tools and programs.
* Strives to be aware and informed of new methods and technological developments which might affect their organization, and influences adoption of new practices and/or changes in emphasis of programs.
* Follows standard work practices which have been previously released, suggests improvements to those practices and helps to develop new standard work practices, as needs arise.
* Recommend policies and procedures that would be of material assistance in the attainment of improved business practices.
* Ensures conformity to government, industry and departmental standards, specifications and practice.
* Performs failure investigations and generates reports.
* Works with the Head of Technology to review existing and emerging technologies and prepares recommendations for implementation of technology and design tools.
* Maintains awareness of industry's standards and best practices.
* Establishes and maintains metrics appropriate to the performance of the Engineering in their area.
* Remains up-to-date on Design and Analysis practices, and the competitor landscape, in order to provide ongoing technical training to the Engineering community and others as needed.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
* Must have Centrifugal pump design experience.
* 3D design skills required.
* Must have experience in CAD software such as Solidworks, Solid Edge, Creo, etc.
* Engineering analysis and simulation skills required.
* Must have experience in CAE software such as ANSYS FEA, Fluent CFD, Solidworks Simulation, MATLAB, etc.
* GD&T experience required.
* Experience with applicable manufacturing processes such as machining, casting and metal fabrication.
* Ability to gain cooperation of others and lead team members
* Demonstrated critical thinking in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly, effectively, and frequently (oral and written)
* Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
* Knowledge of the Defense markets required.
* Strong skills in Microsoft Project/ Microsoft Office Suite
* Working knowledge of ERP systems (IFS, SAP, JDEdwards, Oracle)
* Must be a US Citizen, non-dual citizen is required for DOD requirements.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
* BS in Mechanical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline, MS desired
* 10-15 or more years of directly related work experience; Centrifugal Pump experience preferred, but not required
* Min of 2 years of experience managing projects, and leading cross-functional teams.
CIRCOR IS AN EEO EMPLOYER OF FEMALES / MINORITIES / VETERANS / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES
Apply Not ready to Apply*