Principal Scientist/Sr Scientist, Pathology 12/13/2019
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY THE ROLE:
Reporting to Moderna Director of Pathology, supporting the characterization and the understanding of potential adverse effects of modified mRNA s and delivery systems in preclinical species. Helping uncover the molecular pathogenesis behind these changes to understand if these effects translate to the clinical situation. In addition, supporting the effort for developing better, safer and more efficient delivery and expression system. Finally, providing support to establish the regulatory position to enable clinical trials with these agents.
HERE S WHAT YOU LL DO:
* Support the development and execution of pathology sciences laboratory internally to support the platform and subsidiary specific needs (molecular pathology, histology, investigative pathology/toxicology)
* Support the effort to establish state of the art processes for evaluating and characterizing the effects of modified mRNA s in preclinical species including the pathology sciences necessary for this characterization.
* Interface with the drug metabolism and pharmacokinetic experts to characterize the full pharmaco- and toxicodynamic properties of this novel class of agents.
* Helping to develop Moderna s pathology assessment scheme for potential clinical candidates, up to and including peer-review of GLP and regulatory enabling studies
* Prepare appropriate sections of regulatory documents to support the filing of applications for human dosing including IND s, CTA s, etc.
HERE S WHAT YOU LL BRING TO THE TABLE:
* DVM and/or Ph.D. in comparative pathology (ACVP board certification preferred), pharmacology and/or toxicology with 5 or more years spent overseeing all aspects of the Safety Assessment activities in pharmaceutical development. Strong consideration will be given to those with experience in the evaluation of nucleic acid-based and nanoparticle tox/path.
* Significant contributions to the success of novel pharmaceutical agents with direct experience authoring study reports and appropriate sections of regulatory documents supporting applications for human dosing.
* Strong investigative toxicologic/pathology skills to interpret chemical based toxicity and morphological/clinical pathology changes related to chemical exposures.
* Strong level of understanding and expertise in either one or more of the following: immunology, nanoparticle biology and pathology, the complement system
* Experience conducting outsourced GLP toxicology studies and interfacing with the scientific tox/path staffs at leading CRO s.
* Candidate will be CURIOUS in exploring new path for drug discovery, BOLD in proposing CREATIVE experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be RELENTLESS in pursuing successful outcomes
HERE S WHAT WE LL BRING TO THE TABLE:
* Daily on-site catered lunches
* Company-provided iPhone
* Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
* Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
* Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
* 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
* 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
* 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
* Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
* 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
* A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
* Voluntary legal assistance plan
* 15 days vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
WHY JOIN MODERNA THERAPEUTICS
At Moderna, we believe messenger RNA, or mRNA, is the software of life. ? Every cell in the body uses mRNA to provide real-time instructions to make the proteins necessary to drive all aspects of biology, including in human health and disease. Given its essential role, we believe mRNA could be used to create a new category of medicines with significant potential to improve the lives of patients.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., Moderna currently has strategic alliances for development programs with AstraZeneca, Plc. and Merck, Inc., as well as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense; and the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), a division of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Moderna has been ranked in the top ten of Science s list of top biopharma industry employers for the past four years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.