Production Engineer (Cloud) - MaaS
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 6/4/2020
END DATE 8/8/2020
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONBUSINESS UNIT:
Cubic Transportation Systems powers the future of travel for major cities like London, New
York, Sydney, and many more. Over 60% of public transit rides in the US, UK, and Australia use
Cubic s systems to make travel easier.
Our Transportation Platforms division builds a number of software platforms and services that
power things like fare collection, real time passenger information, transit schedule
management, trip planning, and more. We are an agile team focused on delivering software
JOB SUMMARY: Production Engineers at Cubic ensure that our systems run smoothly, our developers can
achieve speed and quality goals, and help us plan for future growth. As embedded team
members, our Production Engineers assist product-driven engineering teams and are key
contributors within our engineering efforts.
Production Engineering brings together many concepts around software, systems, and people
including Software Engineering, DevOps, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Systems
Administration, and Networking Engineering.
Production Engineering is a specialization focused on Reliability, Scalability, and Efficiency. Like classical Software Engineers, PEs are expected to have solid development skills. More broadly, they will also understand the operating systems (Linux), infrastructures (Azure), and networking that our services and applications rely on.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Own backend services like API Gateways and microservices, frontend-services like our Traveler apps, infrastructure components like Kafka, deployment infrastructure like Jenkins or Gitlab, and everything in between
* Partner with amazing engineers to help deliver high quality, scalable, and performant applications integral to millions of people s daily lives
* Write and review code for tooling, develop documentation and capacity plans, and debug production challenges on 24x7x365 systems used to power people s commutes and daily transportation needs
* Help develop observability, monitoring, and reaction processes and tools to keep our systems running at peak performance
* Support your engineering team by being an escalation contact for service incidents andsharing an on-call rotation
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Four-year college degree in computer science, electronic engineering or other related technical discipline, plus a minimum of twelve years of related experience or a master s degree with ten years of related experience.
* Supporting Software as a Service infrastructure at scale (hundreds of thousands or millions of daily user)
* Coding in higher-level languages (e.g. go, Java, Python)
* Deploying applications at cloud providers (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud)
* Configuring and maintaining applications such as web servers, API gateways, loadbalancers, relational databases, and messaging systems
* Learning custom software, frameworks, and APIs Preferred Experiences
* Kubernetes-based application deployments and monitoring (e.g. Prometheus)
* Configuration management tools like Terraform, Ansible, Salt, or other
* Operating systems and how applications interact with them (including using tools like ktrace/strace)
* Native mobile applications
* Database management including Multi-Master, Multi-Active, NoSQL, Eventual Consistency, CAP Theorem Tradeoffs, etc
* CI/CD Pipeline configuration
* Observability of web and mobile applications (e.g. New Relic, AppDynamics, Sentry, Prometheus, PagerDuty, GreyLog)
* Multiple types of API Transports (e.g. REST, gRPC, GraphQL)
* Participating in software development partnerships
The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties, responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need.
Cubic is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, We are committed to ensuring a workplace free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by applicable law