Sr. Production Equipment Engineer, Pilot Line Cell Manufacturing 5/6/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Role:
Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Production Engineer to contribute to the design and development of new automation equipment and assembly lines for our advanced cell manufacturing equipment for our cutting-edge Tesla Energy Batteries.
The Battery is one of the most complex and challenging components designed and manufactured at Tesla. This is an exciting opportunity to build a world class manufacturing facility right here in the Bay Area. Tesla Motors is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly exciting products.
The Production Engineer will also work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire lifecycle of the product and processes. He/She will work closely with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing), Quality and Process teams to bring the new product from initial design, through prototype development and finally into full production.
* You will be responsible for Validation and characterization of new/current equipment and fixtures for introduction to the production floor
* You will lead safety and ergonomic improvements to production equipment which meets or exceeds regulations or best practices
* You will Collaborate with external equipment suppliers on equipment design and improvement
* You will work with Controls engineer to troubleshoot and recover processes by PLC, HMI, or tool management software, and implement changes/improvements
* You will be creating detailed Manufacturing Instructions to define new processes and document new equipment operation
* You will develop preventive maintenance procedure and a comprehensive spares list to maximize OEE of equipment
* You will be training technicians and line operators on manufacturing processes
* You will Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and specify hand tools for manual assembly tasks
* You will manage Continuous improvement projects to drive equipment improvements based on PFMEA/ DFMEA risk assessment
* You will create machine interactions with plant-wide Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
* BS/MS Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical Engineering (or equivalent)
* 5+ years of experience as a hands-on mechanical/manufacturing Engineer working on automation and/or solving electromechanical systems and software systems
* Demonstrated experience ramping equipment into manufacturing - automation equipment, web handling, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls, and data capture
* Proficiency designing mechanical equipment, fixture and tooling in CAD (SolidWorks, Catia is a plus)
* Demonstrate experience in creating/validating layouts, tooling drawings, Pneumatic and electrical schematics
* Preferred experience with robot programming and Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Wintriss etc)
* Preferred experience with semi-automated / automated manufacturing equipment in a high volume manufacturing environment
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.