R&D Assistant Staff Member - Safety & Licensing Analysis 5/5/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 3112
Seeking an early career research staff member for safety and licensing research and analysis supporting the deployment of advanced nuclear technologies as part of the Advanced Nuclear System Safety and Licensing Group of the Reactor and Nuclear Systems Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with a team of researchers to perform gap analyses and develop licensing requirements and strategies for advanced nuclear systems, including reactors and fuel cycle facilities
- Collaborate with diverse engineering and operational disciplines (instrumentation and control, safeguards and security, fuels and fuel cycle development) to develop research and development plans to address licensing gaps
- Perform safety analyses on conceptual and operational advanced nuclear systems
- PhD in nuclear, mechanical, or chemical engineering or engineering physics or related field.
- Demonstrated results-oriented problem-solving skills and a willingness to apply those skills to a variety of engineering problems
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, presentation, and written) are required to enable effective interaction with technical peers, program managers, and sponsors
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, thoroughly document work performed
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. We are not providing sponsorship for this position.
- Fundamental understanding of nuclear system design and operation for a wide variety of reactor technologies, as well as principals of fluid mechanics, structural mechanics and heat transfer phenomena
- Established aptitude in the application and development of engineering models of nuclear reactor systems for performance and/or safety analysis
- Experience working in version-controlled, quality-assured software development and engineering analysis environment
- Understanding of fundamentals of systems engineering and system interfaces
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.