R&D Engineer 6/5/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Connecting and Protecting People, Microwave Products Group (MPG) is a leading global provider of mission-critical engineered electronic components and subsystems comprised of four business units in five manufacturing locations. Our brand names are recognized globally including: BSC Filters, York, UK; Dow-Key Microwave, Ventura, CA; K&L Microwave, Salisbury, Maryland and Dominican Republic and Pole/Zero, West Chester, OH.
Our expertise is the design and manufacture of communications-based specialty products engineered components and subsystems for demanding military, space, commercial aerospace/industrial, and telecom infrastructure applications where function and reliability are crucial.
The R&D Mechanical Engineer, is directly responsible for the design and development of innovative RF Switch products and Integrated Microwave Assemblies for commercial, military and space applications. This person must capable of designing complex and precision mechanisms, machined, formed, extruded and injection molded parts, including 3D printing as well as understanding materials selection to optimize mechanical performance and durability. The engineer will provide technical leadership to the Engineering Team.
Core Job Responsibilities
The position requires a wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in the mechanical engineering field plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines. This individual must have a strong technical background in the design of precision electromechanical devices and the ability to generate creative design concepts from design inputs, prototype those concepts, and evaluate those designs through sound design of experiment. The candidate must have the capacity to prioritize project activity, work effectively in a cross-functional team environment, and motivate others to reach objectives.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Lead innovation, technology development, and the creation of novel RF switches and switch systems, from feasibility prototype through product commercialization.
* Generate concepts and solutions for new products as well as provide engineering support for existing products.
* Facilitate ideation and assist in the preparation and review of patent applications.
* Execute product development processes following governing standards.
* Collaborate with other engineers, technicians, contract manufacturers, assemblers, or other support personnel to assist in debugging and optimizing product and manufacturing processes performance.
* Working effectively with external vendors and contractors to develop establish and optimize manufacturing process and procedures.
* Facilitate definition of requirements for new products, creation of engineering specifications, and for verification and validation efforts.
* Develop project plans, schedules, and specifications for new product development.
* Estimate project costs and contribute to creating department budgets and records.
* Develop and improve manufacturing processes.
* Interface with external suppliers for component and process design.
* Provide technical leadership and maintain the engineering staff's knowledge on technology and engineering areas associated with product design.
* Minimum ten years of experience in an engineering role, with at least five of these in a senior or principal role.
* Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related Science. An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in any of these fields is preferred.
* Experience working in a multidisciplinary team setting bringing products from concept through market release and beyond.
* Proven ability to develop product development strategy, manage project goals and estimate deliverable timelines.
* Must have a demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly communicate concepts, ideas, and knowledge to other individuals and teams.
* Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as in-depth experience with product development processes.
* Expertise using SolidWorks as a design tool, including creating models, assemblies, and detailed drawings.
* Expertise in thermal and structural FEA using SolidWorks Simulation
* Familiarity with magnetic circuit analysis and Infolytica FEA software desirable.
* Extensive knowledge and proven track record of mechanical and electromechanical design and rapid product development with a record of commercialized products for volume production.
* Comfortable collaborating and seeking optimum solutions with other engineering team members, as well as team members in adjacent disciplines of RF and digital engineering.
* Knowledge of six-sigma methodologies and design for manufacturability is desirable.
* Strong creative ability (as demonstrated by a number of patents) as well as publications.
* Must be assertive and efficient with a self-motivated work ethic
* Able to read documents and computer screens
* Able to move around an office building and up stairs
* Able to sit/stand for long periods of time
* Able to type on a computer keyboard
* Able to communicate through a telephone
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or any other factors prohibited by law.
This position may be located in: Americas : United States : California : Ventura
Sub Division : Dow-Key Microwave
Job Requisition ID : 32928.