Regional Design Technology Manager - Computation 7/22/2020
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Placed at the heart of Gensler s PEOPLE + PROCESS + TECHNOLOGY the Design Technology Community is key to the firm s digital transformation of our creative and project delivery practices throughout the globe. Our ultimate outcome is to co-create a design technology ecosystem that enables our practitioners to leverage the most advanced methodologies and technological solutions reaching a new level of creativity and delivering the most impactful designs to our clients. So, if you are a disruptive computational leader that s ready to change the world with big and impactful ideas, we want you to join our growing and innovative team!
As part of our Southwest REGIONAL DESIGN TECHNOLOGY MANAGERS, you are focused on research, development and strategic implementation of COMPUTATIONAL PLATFORMS and GENERATIVE DESIGN for the region. A critical multifaceted role that provides technical leadership, strategic value and deep tactical expertise in the design technology and digital project delivery space, enabling the team(s) you support and aligning with the Region s projects and clients priorities / requirements. This role will advance the region s computational thinking and application throughout all phases of the projects.
Reporting directly to the REGIONAL DESIGN TECHNOLOGY DIRECTOR, you will use your soft skills, relationship building and technical expertise to drive with confidence process innovation, optimization and digital workflows / platforms creation and implementation in partnership / collaboration with your peers in the Regional Design Technology group. Ultimately, we believe that this role is a key contributor to delivering the highest value and best outcomes to our clients.
Computationally, we believe that you can deliver high-quality code that is modular and extensible by your colleagues because it s human readable, well-commented, and thoughtfully architected. You are comfortable writing code that can interact with the application and display layers. You have a passion for code clarity, extensibility, and scalability. You are able to solve complex design problems using logic.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
* Co-Lead elevating computational/generative design skills and solutions within the SW Region
* Focus on establishing project specific use-cases that illustrate how to leverage computation
* Collaborate with practitioners and design synergy on how to adopt computational thinking
* Integrate computational thinking as part of the design storytelling for our design teams
* Establish digital fluency and cross platforms integration and interoperability from concept to delivery
* Lead cultural, process-driven and technical training in computational design to our region
* Work with the regional and firmwide teams on contributing to code / piloting products
* Implement regional and firm democratized products / plug-ins into our regional practice
* Identify workflows, tools, and efficiencies that will bring value-proposition to our projects
* Research innovative solutions and co-create with partners continuously in support of projects
* Create bespoke computational solutions / code to address challenges within specific projects
* Represent our firm through speaking engagements, hackathons and industry events
* Bachelor s Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction and/or equivalent training and experience in the AEC / Building Industry
* 10+ years of progressive experience in Design Technology in Computational specific roles
* Expert in computational / generative design platforms such as Grasshopper, Dynamo, etc.
* Deep experience with computational geometry (medial axis, isovist, mesh topology, quad meshes, agent systems, etc.)
* High level of proficiency in visual and object-oriented programming such as Python, VB.NET, Java, C++, C# + Linq syntax
* Strong command of event listeners, static classes
* Comfortable working with JSON and XML data formats
* Experience/ability to build and deploy Rhino plugins
* Experience/ability to build and deploy Grasshopper plugins
* Deep knowledge of Rhinocommon and Grasshopper SDKs
* Experience in Windows Forms
* Experience with custom UI at the application level
* Experience with using Git + source control in a team environment
* Good code hygiene and DRY approach
* Articulate communicator, able to convey design technology concepts to all levels of design, consultants and clients
* Punctual, able to adhere to deadlines, have a strong work ethic and superb organizational skills
* Creative thinker, innovative and able to win the hearts / minds of stakeholders to drive change-management in the project design cycle
LIFE AT GENSLER
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to "Well-being Week," our offices reflect our people s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
GENSLER IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY WORKPLACE AND IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. ALL ASPECTS OF EMPLOYMENT DECISIONS WILL BE BASED ON MERIT, COMPETENCE, PERFORMANCE, AND BUSINESS NEEDS. WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASES OF ANY STATUS PROTECTED UNDER FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL LAW. IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE OR AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY YOU MAY CONTACT US HERE. WE CELEBRATE DIVERSITY AND ARE COMMITTED TO CREATING AN INCLUSIVE ENVIRONMENT FOR OUR COLLEAGUES.