Research Assistant, Sr./ Full-time/ Day Job/ Channing Division of Network Medicine 6/3/2020
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Partners/Bayer Pulmonary Drug Discovery (PDD) Laboratory utilizes in vitro and in vivo models to identify molecular targets related to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and interstitial lung disease (ILD), to determine the mode of action of the targets, and to identify and test potential therapeutic modalities for COPD and ILD. The PDD Laboratory RA Senior actively participants in experimental research related to these goals and has the capability to present his/her lab work. He/she works independently under the guidance of the supervisor, and performs non-routine, highly specialized experiments or modification of current research protocols. The PDD Laboratory RA Senior has knowledge of subject matter and continually strives to learn more about methods, project design, and offers improvements to current techniques. Willing to accommodate work schedule at odd hours.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Participate in molecular and cellular biology experiments, including but not limited to: PCR, DNA and protein gel electrophoresis, Western blots, RNA preps, quantitative real-time PCR, mammalian cell (tissue) culture, transfect and infect cells with expression vectors, CRISPR - cas9 delivery in primary cells, organoid cultures, and precision cut lung slice studies.
2) Work with murine models of lung disease relevant to molecular targets of interest, including murine colony maintenance, genotype confirmation of gene-targeted mice, exposure studies, and cell and molecular studies based on samples from murine models.
3) Execute experimental studies to validate and understand the biology of identified molecular targets and new mechanisms and maintain complete daily records of methodologies and test results in an electronic laboratory notebook.
4) Work with other laboratory staff, including Bayer scientists, to drive the process of drug development for validated mechanisms and targets.
5) Keep record of studies, analyze data sets, prepare and present results at PDD Laboratory meetings which may include the Bayer team in Germany.
6) Communicate and interact with interdisciplinary project teams.
7) Participate in scientific meetings and seminars and represents the strategic collaboration at internal and external meetings and conferences.
8) Maintain equipment and supplies in a neat and orderly manner.
9) All other duties as assigned.
1) Minimum of Bachelors in Science plus four years of relevant work experience.
2) Knowledge of cell biology and/or molecular biology not only obtained through a bachelors degree program in biology, molecular genetics, biochemistry, or laboratory science.
3) Experience with molecular cloning, PCR, CRISPR/Cas9 technique, and primary cell culture.
4) Experience with murine models is desirable.
5) Ability to identify potential problems, communicate and troubleshoot them effectively.
6) Must be able to operate and maintain delicate electronic equipment and safely use and dispose of toxic chemicals and biohazards materials.
7) Excellent written and verbal communication skills, must be able to thoroughly document experiments, protocols, and data. Must be able to logically structure tasks and set priorities.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1) Quality of work and data produced accuracy, attention to detail, raises questions promptly with Investigators about matters affecting data quality. Ability to independently follow protocols and troubleshoot procedures as required.
2) Time management meets deadlines, balances multiple projects at all times, plans with supervisors and other staff to work together to meet deadlines.
3) Standards knowledge of subject matter and continually striving to learn more about methods, project design, and offering improvements to current techniques.
4) Communication professional, courteous, and accurate communication of progress or results to supervisors and principal investigators.
5) Documentation ability to provide thorough written and/or electronic documentation of all costs, protocols, weekly project status reports and laboratory project-tracking bugs and regularly review with principal investigators.
Variety of laboratory/office settings. Exposure to toxic chemicals and biohazards materials. Work may require odd hours to complete experiments, obtain biospecimens, and/or to participate on calls with Germany.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.