Research Associate in Communications and Signal Processing 8/21/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 2959
Who are we looking for?
The Resilient Communications and Autonomous Systems (RCAS) Group in the National Securities and Emerging Technologies (NSET) Division at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a Research Engineer to conduct research and development (R&D) in resilient communications, cognitive radio and signal analysis.
Who are we?
ORNL is a global leader in applying emerging technologies, including resilient communications and autonomous systems, to solve various security threats and protect public safety and critical infrastructure. ORNL has emerged as the U.S. Department of Energy s largest open science and energy laboratory. Within the RCAS Group, as the radio-frequency spectrum used by various devices becomes increasingly crowded and standardized, communications related to business and government security are at risk of becoming less reliable and susceptible to attack. RCAS develops strategies for secure, integrated communications. In particular, this field leverages developments in artificial intelligence and cognitive radio technologies to enable radio networks to autonomously collaborate and independently develop methods to share and utilize the radio-frequency spectrum.
You will seek to advance the state-of-the-art in software defined radios (SDR) to collaborate and lead the exploration and development of innovative, secure and novel approaches to solve emerging wireless networking and communication challenges and to contribute to current and future projects in the following areas (but not limited to):
- Software Defined Radio (GNU Radio)
- Digital Signal Processing
- Waveform/Protocol Development
- Cognitive Radio
- Wireless System Security
- 5G Systems and Future Vulnerabilities
- Network Security
- Embedded Systems Security
- SDR Platform Development
Working at ORNL
ORNL has an innovative and fast paced culture that rewards open source software development, has a flexible work schedule, and very competitive pay with industry. On any given day, after listening to a talk from a Nobel Laureate, you can eat in two full-service caf s, go to spin class, or visit the full-service primary care clinic, all without leaving our campus.
Living in East Tennessee
East Tennessee is one of the greatest areas of the country in which to live and provides an exciting backdrop for many hobbies and interests as Tennessee is home to both urban places and wide-open spaces, with lots of scenic room to roam. From spending your weekends downtown at Knoxville s farmers market, the Rhythm n Blooms Music Festival, or the Dogwood Arts Festival, to some of the best hiking, kayaking, and camping in the U.S., not only in the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park but all over the greater Oak Ridge-Knoxville area, East Tennessee has something to offer everyone with a great mix of big city living and small town feel.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The position involves innovative thinking about hardware, RF design, software and combinations thereof as well as technology evaluation, concept design, prototype development, implementation and demonstration.
- Work on a variety of engineering assignments, collaborating with scientists and engineers, and will be expected to produce reliable software and systems and contribute to publications and funding proposals as needed.
- Apply emerging machine learning research to analog and digital communications.
- Write and participate in research proposals to major funding agencies.
- Present and report research results and publish scientific findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or closely related discipline and at least 3-5 years of relevant experience outside of the degree.
- Comfortable working as part of a team.
- A proven track record of scholarship (e.g. publications, patents, copyrights, etc.).
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
- An excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to a scientific audience.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative and frequently interacting teams of researchers.
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs.
- Fluent in Linux.
- Programming skills in C, C++, Python and GNU Radio experience with a demonstrated ability to use design patterns and software engineering best practices for secure, scalable, reliable, rapid implementation.
- Extensive experience with Software Defined Radio systems.
- Candidates with communication protocol development, signal analysis, and machine learning experience would be considered a plus.
- Excellent communications skills for visualization and presentation of methodology, results, and demonstrations.
- Excellent teamworking ability and the ability to independently identify and solve challenging technical problems.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.