Research Associate 5/6/2020
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DESCRIPTION
Prometheus Biosciences is focused on the discovery and development of therapeutics and companion diagnostics for IBD using a precision medicine approach. With an integrated, multiplatform strategy we are able to identify dominant pathways in the pathogenesis of IBD. To date this work has led to the identification of several new potential targets and drug candidates for the treatment of IBD.
We seek a motivated, detail-oriented Research Associate with strong cell culture and primary cell experience (whole blood and PBMCs) to support early phase drug discovery, IND-enabling studies, and biomarker studies in patient samples. The ideal candidate is an individual that enjoys the fast-paced and dynamic environment of early stage drug discovery and development with the demonstrated ability to follow established protocols as well as contribute to process improvements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Conduct in vitro whole blood and PBMC-based assays in support of projects.
* Use MSD and ELISA-based methods to determine cytokine levels in biological samples.
* Use flow cytometry to characterize the expression of cell surface proteins or intacellular markers and antibody binding.
* Contribute to assay development in support of small molecule and biologics screening campaigns.
* Maintain multiple cell lines in culture.
* Keep meticulous records and maintain ELN entries.
* Act as a resource for other scientists in the group
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
* B.S. degree in a biological science required.
* 3 5 years hands-on lab experience in an industry drug discovery / development setting is required.
* Strong cell culture skills and prior work with primary cells are essential.
* Proficiency in data analysis using Excel and Prism (GraphPad) preferred.
* Prior experience with flow cytometry, ELISAs, western blot, and antibody-based therapeutics a plus.
Ability to read and analyze professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations is required. Ability to write reports, business correspondences, procedure manuals and SOPs. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts and operations to test reliability and validity of data. Proficiency in Excel is required.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical, written or diagram form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, potentially infectious bodily fluids, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme cold.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate with background sounds from instruments and freezers.
All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other protected class..