Research Fellow 9/11/2020
Redwood City, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Impossible Foods is addressing the most catastrophic threats facing humanity: climate change and biodiversity collapse. A global transition to a plant-based food system will turn back the clock on atmospheric CO2 levels, restore natural ecosystems and reverse meltdown in wildlife biomass.The easiest -- if not only -- way to make our civilization sustainable is to eliminate livestock, the most dangerous technology on Earth. But humans won t give up meat. So we need to make meat better -- more delicious and more nutritious, without animals as the underlying production technology. That means that making meat sustainably is the most important and urgent problem for the global scientific community.Impossible Foods' mission is to completely replace the use of animals as a food-production technology by offering consumers everything they currently value about animal products -- and making products that are vastly superior to their animal analogues.To do this, we are taking a revolutionary scientific and market-based approach. We are inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental or public health impact.Our world-class R&D team has been building the know-how and technology platform to produce meat, fish and dairy foods from plants. Impossible Foods is experiencing rapid growth and is resolutely committed to leading all aspects of the plant-based food revolution from discovery to commercial production. The only thing that will separate Impossible Foods from success and failure is our ability to recruit more world-class experts. Want to join? Check out the job opening and requirements below:We are looking for a creative and mission-aligned Research Fellow/Principal Investigator to join the team! Our goal is to understand molecular mechanisms underlying meat flavor chemistry and translate them to create authentic meat flavor experiences in our products. A successful scientist in this position will drive understanding of flavor generation in biological tissues and collaborate with a broader R&D team to translate the chemistry into plant-based systems. An ideal candidate would have broad experience in biochemistry, particularly the fractionation and reconstitution of complex biochemical systems and the analytical experience necessary to characterize and reconstruct the relevant underlying chemistries of target materials. If you are curious, hardworking and unafraid to push experimentation combined with scientific rigor, join us!
YOU WILL: * Lead a team developing a fundamental understanding of molecules and mechanisms underlying the contribution of adipose tissue to meat flavor and aroma
* Develop and guide approaches for biochemical fractionation of animal tissues to identify and chemically characterize the molecular components and chemical processes that lead to target flavor profiles, using sensory and analytical assays
* Collaborate with biochemists, flavor chemists and material scientists to reconstitute meat flavor chemistry in plant-based meats.
* Empower and mentor a team of 4-6 scientists and research associates
* Be a champion for rigorous science, and proactively educate and learn from others
* Communicate findings and work with broader flavor research team and the R&D leadership team to synthesize knowledge, transfer technology and to identify and develop strategic research initiatives
YOU HAVE: * PhD degree in Biochemistry or related fields with 5+ years of postdoctoral and/or industry research experience
* Experience in fractionation and reconstitution of biochemical systems
* Experience in protein characterization and lipid chemistry is a must, experience in small molecule chemistry is a plus
* Experience developing complex sample preparation workflows for analytical characterization is desirable
* Experience in applied sensory and perceptual research is a plus
* Excellent communication and leadership skills to successfully mentor, collaborate with and influence scientists with diverse technical backgrounds
* Motivation, humility, curiosity, and eagerness to explore new conceptual areas
* Energy and determination to work in a fast-paced environment on a project critical to the future of our planet
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.