Research Patient Navigator- SCC-Cancer Translational 11/2/2019
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
* High school graduate and five (5) years working experience in health care environment required.
* Preferred education is a Bachelor degree in appropriate field; and/or working experience in a large multi-specialty system.
* Preferred bilingual.
Helps patients understand the importance and benefits of clinical trials. Early identification of study candidates by pre-screening. Interacting with patients who may be potential clinical trial candidates to educate them about clinical trials, assisting patients to overcome barriers. Presenting clinical research options in a timely, knowledgeable and consistent fashion: a) Initiative to provide education to Investigators, residents, fellows, clinic nurses, and getting them familiar with all open to accrual clinical trials; b) Educating patients and families on the importance/potential benefits of participation in clinical trials. Also, educating patients through community outreach events. Promotes teamwork and multidisciplinary care concepts to patients and staff. Identifies and maintains a database on the number of subjects identified at their first visit.
* Acts as a liaison between the patient, their family and the research study.
* Implements an individualized patient navigation plan for patients seeking treatment by facilitation of appointment scheduling, assisting with referral processes, providing client education and linking clients with appropriate support services.
* Identifies patient's understanding of medical care/outcomes and provides appropriate education and resources to address needs.
* Empowers patients to self-navigate the healthcare system.
* Promotes teamwork and multidisciplinary care concepts to patients, staff and faculty regarding the research project.
* Assists people to create their own/unique solutions by acting as a resource for the research project, and navigating a large multi-disciplinary medical system; connects patient with community resources when appropriate.
* Promotes the navigation program to the UT Southwestern community.
* Identifies and maintains a database of outcomes.
* Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: (a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; (b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; (c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or (d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression..