Research Scientist/Engineer 5/8/2020
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Do you enjoy solving complex problems? Would you enjoy working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary research environment that requires collaboration, as well as the ability to work independently? Are you interested in working for a company that values dedication in the workplace, inspires professional development, and appreciates the importance of creating an optimal work-life balance? Do you want to work in Vermont with access to summer and winter sports? If this sounds like your next job, we would like to talk with you about joining the Integrated Products Division (IPD) in ARA. We are seeking a scientist/engineer to help solve problems in advanced sensor development, robotics and RF, and radio systems. We deliver engineering solutions and advanced products for a wide range of technical applications where precise measurement, motion control and data acquisition is required.
The Integrated Products Division of ARA has ongoing research and product development in ground robotics, geo-sciences and advanced sensor development. Our advanced sensor development includes seismic and acoustic sensors, radiation sensors, optical and thermal sensing. We have continuing development of advanced signal processing and algorithm development including applying beam-forming from multiple element arrays to acoustics and radio communications, as well as applying machine learning to target recognition.
* What you'll do as a Scientist/Engineer
* Our work focuses on research and development of advanced sensors for the US Government, both to support sensor programs in security areas as well as sensors to support our advanced ground robotic systems. As an engineer on our team, your day-to-day work will consist of developing or integrating a wide variety of models into our modeling and simulation software, and performing verification & validation on the models to ensure that they produce realistic results. As a research and development program, the nature of our work varies from month to month and year to year. You will be continuously challenged to learn and grow expertise in new areas.
* The most successful candidates have a strong technical background in science, engineering, or mathematics and a desire to continue expanding their knowledge
* Degree in physics, engineering or related science.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to work well with many departments, developing solutions for the customer consistent with our business goals.
* PhD is preferred in physics, engineering or related discipline.
* Familiarity with VHDL or Verilog for programming FPGA and/or schematics and PCB board design is desirable.
* Experience with embedded Linux systems is desirable.
* Expertise (and interest!) in C++, Matlab and Python software is also highly desirable.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,400 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company's success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, "Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit" sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)",
DegreeName: Master of Science
Description: PhD in related field
Description: Masters Degree plus related experience