Research Technician 8/20/2020
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Overview
The research technician position will assist scientists in performing scientific research, development and/or clinical tasks of varying complexity. In general, this position will assist in the set up, operation and maintenance of laboratory instruments and equipment, monitoring experiments, making observations and calculating and recording results.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
* Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain and troubleshoot equipment.
* Clean, maintain and prepare supplies and work areas and may be responsible for ordering of supplies. Collaborates with Purchasing and may be responsible for negotiating with vendors.
* Conduct standardized biological, microbiological or biochemical tests and laboratory analyses, including the collection of information and samples from organic substances, such as blood, drugs, and animals.
* Isolate, identify and prepare specimens for examination.
* Analyze experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings, including grant preparation and presentations, and look for opportunities to co-author publications. May be expected to participate in formal and information presentations of results to staff.
* Participate in grant application process and manuscript preparation as required.
* Maintains detailed notebook of all work-related activities.
* Monitors laboratory work to ensure compliance with Environmental Health and Safety information as well as the standard operation procedures specific to each laboratory.
* Expected to provide intellectual and interactive commitment to position by keeping up with appropriate literature and research publications.
* May be responsible for the development, modification and improvement of standard operating procedures.
* Uses computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics or high-technology applications to perform work duties.
* May be responsible for designing and executing advanced experiments and setting strategy.
* May be responsible for the examination of animals and specimens to detect the presence of disease or other problems.
* May be responsible for monitoring laboratory budgets.
* Bachelor's Degree required with a major in biology or chemistry preferred.
* Knowledge of information and techniques related to either biology, chemistry, or medicine is preferred.
* Must have excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and be able to work with a wide variety of faculty and staff.
* Ability to analyze information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems.
* Must have attention to detail and be thorough in completing work tasks.
* Ability to work within a team environment.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.