Research Technician 5/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Our research makes use of status of the art human intestine derived in vitro culture model derived from patient intestinal biopsies and is focused on dissecting the biological processes that affect differentiation and function of intestinal epithelia. The technician will be trained and expected to perform a wide variety of routine techniques including primary cell isolation from human biopsies and resection, primary and immortalized cells culture, subculture, generation of frozen stubs and expansion, culture of microbial pathogens including but not limited to Salmonella Typhi, S. flexnerii and S. dysenteriae. The technician will be also expected to perform experiments including , but not limited to RNA isolation and analysis, protein extraction and western blot, ELISA, immunohistochemistry and to contribute to the general organization and management of the laboratory.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
* Maintains laboratory notebook
* Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
* Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
* Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
* Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
* May perform independent literature searches
* Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
* Maintains and orders supplies
* Isolates primary cell from human biopsies and resection and cultures as directed
* Manage the primary organoids repository
* Works with pathogens (BL2) including Salmonella Typhi, S. flexnerii and S. dysenteriae
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
* Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
* Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
* Perform basic design and modification of protocols
* Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
* Prepare and present reports
* Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
* Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
* Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member
* Good communication skills
* Computer literacy
* Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
* Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
The Research Technician II should also possess:
* Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical problems
* Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
* Working knowledge of data management programs
* Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies
Bachelors degree required. Master degree preferred for Research Technician II
New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
Those with a minimum of 1 year of DIRECTLY RELATED work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician Is.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.