Research Technician 5/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Ott Laboratory is recruiting a research associate with an interest in deciphering the essential gene regulatory factors in cancer. The ideal candidate will have a BS in molecular biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or computational biology. The position requires skills in biology laboratory techniques, including molecular cloning, cancer cell culture, and assay development. Familiarity with computational tools useful for genomics and epigenomics research is desirable. Available projects in the lab include understanding mechanisms of cancer cell dependency on lineage-defining gene regulatory factors and associated epigenetic machinery, high-throughput assay design and screening for novel chemical probes, functional genetic screening with gene editing technology to identify new therapeutic targets, and genome-wide chromatin structure analysis to understand gene regulatory malfunction in cancer.
The position requires a high level of self-motivation, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work diligently and cooperatively with others. Successful applicants will be able to work independently, maintain high standards of laboratory safety, and display the intellectual curiosity required to effectively participate in multidisciplinary projects.
Interested candidates should send inquires directly to:
Christopher Ott, PhD
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
* Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
* Maintains laboratory notebook
* Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
* Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
* Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
* Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
* May perform independent literature searches
* Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
* Maintains and orders supplies
* Ability to work independently and as a team member
* Good communication skills
* Computer literacy
* Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
* Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
* Bachelors degree required.
* New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
* Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
* A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician Is.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.