Research Technician 5/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
A position is open for a full-time laboratory research technician at the MGH Cancer Center in the laboratory of Liron Bar-Peled. The laboratory studies the cellular response to altered metabolic states in multiple cancer models. Specific studies relate to discovering druggable vulnerabilities in genetically defined cancers and elucidating the mechanisms of reactive oxygen species in cancer growth using cutting edge chemical proteomic technologies. To learn more about our research visit: barpeledlab.org.
The candidate will assist in experiments under the supervision of the project head and PI of the laboratory. These duties include preparing and performing laboratory experiments, collection and accurate recording of procedures and results, ordering necessary reagents to conduct experiments and participation in joint upkeep of the lab.
Dr. Bar-Peled seeks exceptionally motivated candidates who enjoy conducting research and involving themselves in the dynamic and intellectual environment of the laboratory. She or he will have the opportunity to become fully involved with all the steps of research being completed in our laboratory, often working directly with Dr. Bar-Peled, which will lead to numerous publications. Investigators in our laboratory will present at regular laboratory meetings. The experience gained in the lab will be very helpful for pursuing a career as a researcher or physician.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary techniques required for this position include:
* Performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, tissue culture, in vitro assays, etc.)
* Prepares proteomic samples
* Conducts mammalian tissue culture experiments
* Conducts molecular biology experiments (cloning, western blotting, gene-editing using CRISPR)
* Maintains laboratory notebook
* Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
* Conducts analysis of results
* Supports the research of other lab members
* Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
* Preforms independent literature searches
* Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
* Maintains and orders supplies
* Works in an efficient manner
* Has a high capacity for problem solving
Other techniques may be required to further expand on experimental findings.
* Bachelors degree required. College degree in biology, molecular biology, chemistry, or biochemistry preferred.
* New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
* Candidates with a strong computational background are also encouraged to apply. Candidates with a minimum of 1-3 year research experience in a laboratory are highly preferred. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, organized, and able to work independently as well as part of a team in a fast-paced evolving environment. Excellent communication and organizational skills are necessary.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.