Research Technician 5/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Center for Cancer Research at the Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading cancer research institute dedicated to the mission of translating basic science discoveries into new therapies for cancer patients.
The Manguso Lab at MGH studies tumor immunology and is dedicated to discovering new approaches for cancer immunotherapy. Our lab is a world leader in applying genetics and functional genomics approaches for in vivo discovery of novel cancer immunotherapy targets. Our multidisciplinary team uses cutting edge techniques including but not limited to high-throughput genetic screening, CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing, preclinical murine models for immunotherapy, and single-cell RNA sequencing to improve our understanding of how cancer evades the immune system.
We seek a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Research Technician I at MGH. This role will work closely with senior investigators, and requires the ability to communicate effectively, work well in a team setting, and a strong desire to learn new methods. Your work will be central to several major research projects, and co-authorship on high-impact publications is strongly supported.
The research will require you to be adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment. Learning new techniques in the lab or from other labs to increase expertise will be encouraged. Candidates should have excellent communication skills, be highly organized, and comfortable with new technology. This position will provide an outstanding experience for a career in science, medicine or biotechnology.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Conducts experiments and/or assays following standard or detailed protocol, identifies and documents variations that may affect the validity of the experiment.
* Works with mice for in vivo experiments to assess tumor growth.
* Data collection and analysis. Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, and discusses results within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
* Validates and conducts studies based upon standard experimental protocols within the agreed upon timelines with supervisor/technical manager. Ensure functionality and maintenance of instrumentation and/or reagent stocks.
* Demonstrates success in coordinating and/or conducting multiple, concurrent assignments or a multi-faceted project.
* Attention to detail is absolutely required.
* Able to think creatively to solve problems.
* Proficient with molecular biology laboratory techniques.
* Experience with mammalian cell and tissue culture techniques is strongly preferred.
* Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, including the ability to handle a variety of tasks in a fast-paced environment.
* High level of initiative and motivation, ability to work independently and with a team.
* Advanced computer skills, ability to develop technical documents and presentations.
* Willingness and ability to work flexible shifts (evening/weekend/holiday).
* Participates in internal meetings to share results and plan experiments.
* Bachelor degree in Biology or a related field with experience working in a research lab required.
Recent graduates with laboratory coursework will be hired as a Technician I. Applicants with one or more years of relevant work experience will be hired as a Technician II.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.