Research Technician 5/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Benes Lab in the MGH Cancer Center is seeking a highly motivated and well-organized individual for a full-time Research Technician I position. The candidate will assist in basic science and translational research projects under the supervision of the project head and the PI of the laboratory. These duties include performing laboratory experiments, collection and accurate recording of procedures and results, ordering necessary reagents to conduct experiments and participation in joint upkeep of the lab.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Evaluation and characterization of cancer cell lines and their response to therapeutic agents, as well as the resistance mechanisms in experimental cell line models and patient tumor specimens.
Standard tissue culture techniques including cell line maintenance, drug-treatment, cryopreservation, etc.
Cell viability and apoptosis assays
Basic molecular biology including plasmid construction, nucleic acid purification and PCR
Generate and interpret experimental results
Organize and accurately maintain written records of experimental procedures and data generated
Participate in weekly lab meetings and presentation in journal club
Has responsibility for ordering common laboratory reagents and general lab maintenance
Other techniques may be required to further expand on experimental findings, and may include in vivo work with laboratory animals.
The candidate will have opportunity to review literature directly relating to their project and assist in preparation of manuscripts resulting from the research project.
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
* Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
* Maintains laboratory notebook
* Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
* Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
* Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
* Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
* May perform independent literature searches
* Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
* Maintains and orders supplies
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
* Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
* Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
* Perform basic design and modification of protocols
* Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
* Prepare and present reports
* Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
* Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
* Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
* Must be self-motivated and reliable.
* Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Attention to detail in experimental techniques and record keeping
* Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Internet searches.
BS/BA in biology, microbiology, or biochemistry or related field. Research experience as a technician or conducting independent research project preferred.
* Recent college graduate with relevant degree.
Training in all required techniques will be provided. * Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.