Research Technician II 5/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Spriggs Lab is a translational laboratory focused on the Biology of Ovarian Cancer, particularly the MUC16/CA125 glycoprotein and its effects on the growth, invasion and metastatic behavior of Ovarian cancer. The laboratory is a highly collaborative team which participates in the conduct and publication of studies with diagnostic / therapeutic implications for the treatment of human malignancy. We are looking for ambitious individuals to assist in all experimental aspects of the laboratory's work, including animal studies. Opportunities for publication and progress toward independence will be provided.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Prepare and maintain in vitro tissue culture (adherent and suspension cell culture, transfection, cell proliferation assays)
* Independently carry out molecular and cellular biology assays including molecular cloning, growth/survival and other cellular behavior assays, DNA/RNA/protein detection assays, siRNA and viral-based shRNA techniques, and flow cytometry.
* Basic animal husbandry (E.G. handing, clipping, genotyping)
* Prepare basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
* Maintain laboratory notebook
* Conduct analysis of results and begin interpretation of results
* Set up, prepare and execute routine and non-routine experiments as directed
* Maintain and troubleshoot laboratory instruments and equipment
* Perform independent literature searches
* Maintain and order supplies
* Assist the PI with determining the most suitable methodology and experimental design
* Perform basic design and modification of protocols
* Prepare and present reports
* Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
* Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
* BS/BA required in biochemistry, molecular biology, structural biology or biophysics
* Minimum of 1 year directly related research experience is required.
* Experience with molecular and cellular biology assays including molecular cloning, maintenance of mammalian cell cultures, growth/survival and other cellular behavior assays, DNA/RNA/protein detection assays, siRNA and viral-based shRNA techniques.
* Experience with FACS
* In vivo animal experience is desirable.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.