Resource Coordinator - Pathology, Full-time, Days 9/2/2020
Northwestern Memorial Healthcare
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY RESOURCE COORDINATOR - PATHOLOGY, FULL-TIME, DAYS
Chicago, Illinois JOB REQID 4378 JOB FUNCTION Laboratory SHIFT Day Job (1st)
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better*
The Resource Coordinator - Pathologyreflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Under the direction of the manager, the resource coordinator has the authority and accountability for facilitating the delivery of quality service for a designated section (75% staff work and 25% resource coordination for the shift). Duties include coordination and scheduling of section staffing, organization of staff activities to ensure efficient and effective use of time and effort, inventory control of section technical and clerical supplies, submission of supply requests in accordance with section budget constraints and volume demands, and investigation and resolution of section technical and service problems between support services, nursing units, outpatient areas and clinical testing departments. Special knowledge of hospital and laboratory systems required.
* Section coordination responsibilities:
* Provides lead direction/supervision for all processes and procedures.
* Coordinates and supervises section staffing to ensure sufficient staff to cover all aspects of service. Proactively adjust daily staff work assignments due to sick leave or increased patient volume. Evaluate/approve the need for staff overtime and temporary help.
* Oversees staff adjustments in the Automated Time Recording system, vacation requests and leave requests.
* Assures department staff provides consistent quality customer service to all customers.
* Orients, trains and assists in the evaluation of section personnel according to guidelines established by Laboratory Management and Human Resources.
* Oversees the inventory system to ensure appropriate and adequate supply levels to meet department requirements. Submits supply requests in accordance with section budget requirements and purchasing requirements.
* Coordinates the maintenance and repair activities as related to equipment and facilities.
* Assists the Manager with annual performance appraisals, competency assessment, safety and infection control training of existing staff.
* Assists in development, revision and review of standard operating procedures (SOP) and relevant documentation.
* Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local, TJC, CAP and hospital regulations, policies and procedures.
* Investigates and resolves patient, technical, and supply and workflow problems related to area of responsibility.
* Assures the department meets all aspects of the hospital and laboratory safety and infection control programs; monitors activities of the department Safety Officer.
* Fosters department and laboratory teamwork through demonstration of positive leadership skills and superior communication skills.
* Assures that incidents or error occurrences are documented appropriately and timely per the Occurrence Management policy.
* Is responsive and helpful to the Manager regarding requests for information about projects and daily activities in the department.
* Assists in specific process improvement projects.
* Professional/personal development responsibilities:
* Establishes and executes personal development objectives as part of annual objective setting process which complements current position.
* Identifies and pursues activities/development opportunities which are appropriate for position and personal development objectives.
* Assesses and communicates staff development needs to Manager.
* Leadership/problem solving responsibilities:
* Adheres to Patients First management standards on leadership, communication and visibility.
* Coordinates critical situations involving patients, staff and visitors and consults with Manager and Operations Coordinator or administrator for guidance as needed (e.g. complaints, discipline, the press, etc.)
* Promotes philosophy and objectives of the hospital, division and department.
* Identifies and communicates key issues and tends to Manager.
* Technical responsibilities:
* Adheres to hospital and department policies and procedures.
* Performs complex testing in accordance with section policies and procedures.
* Performs, records and maintains quality control, quality assurance and patient information as required by the laboratory and accrediting agencies, e.g., CAP, TJC.
* Coordinates operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment; coordinates maintenance of service records. Coordinates and performs troubleshooting and repair. Calls for outside service when necessary.
* Assists in revision and updating of SOP and relevant documentation.
* Participates in and presents laboratory meetings and continuing education programs.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Medical staff relations:
* Works with Medical Directors in implementing goals, objectives, budgets and new programs.
* Works with Medical Directors on resolution of technical and operational issues.
* Supports Clinical Quality Management (QM) activities.
* Quality management responsibilities:
* Takes a leadership role in developing, overseeing and participating in departmental quality improvement activities.
* Collects data to support the measurement and tracking of quality management.
* Incorporates results of QM audits in the improvement of services and enhancement of patient care consistent with hospital policy
* Provides ideas and suggestions for process improvements within the department.
* Communicates customer satisfaction issues to appropriate individuals.
* Serves as a role model for others in terms of quality of work and self-improvement
* Bachelor s Degree in Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Science, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry, Biology, or Allied Health qualifying the applicant to take the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification examination.
* At least 3 years of relevant clinical laboratory experience
* License/Certification and Regulatory Agency
* General MLS or MT (ASCP) Certification or eligible or
* Categorical BB, C, H or M (ASCP) Certification or eligible
* If eligible, must be ASCP certified within one year of employment
* Qualifies as a General Supervisor under CLIA 88 regulations
* Prior leadership experience
* Experience with data analysis and strategic initiatives
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation.