Respiratory Therapist, part time-24 hrs/wk
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2019
END DATE 5/30/2020
Brigham & Women's Faulkner Hospital(BWFH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONSchedule-24 hours week, days
Respiratory therapists provide treatment, evaluation, monitoring and management of patients with breathing disorders or cardiovascular problems.
Care provided by respiratory therapists may include: administration of oxygen, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, chest physical therapy, management of mechanical ventilators, administering drugs to the lungs, monitoring cardiopulmonary systems and measuring lung function.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A respiratory therapist performs the following services:
1. Determines respiratory treatment goals in consultation with physicians, nurses, and by prescription
2. Delivers and assesses responses to ordered therapy to be sure it is restoring patients pulmonary function.
3. Administers prescribed doses of aerosol drugs
4. Utilizes various types of oxygen and other therapeutic gas equipment such as masks, BIPAP/CPAP, ventilators per hospital policy
5. Administers Respiratory Therapy by performing various techniques of bronchopulmonary drainage, such as percussion/vibration, Acapella, incentive spirometry
6. Monitors physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes
7. Educate patients and family members on a variety of topics such as correct MDI or aerosol use, smoking cessation, and other respiratory equipment
8. Assists in educating students
9. Ability to perform arterial blood gas puncture
10. Respond to Code Blue, stat calls, and be a member of RRT (Rapid Response Team)
11. Assist with endotracheal intubation
12. Extubate patients per order
13. Maintain the integrity of the patient-ventilator system by proper airway management, measure ventilator volumes and pressures, obtain ventilator mechanics (RSBI, Raw, spontaneous RR and minute volume, NIF)
14. Be an active member of the critical care team in meeting patients goals by attending rounds, giving pertinent patient information and offering suggestions.
15. Be a team player both on the floors and in the ICU to meet best patient goals and needs
16. Assist and direct treatments given by CRTs and those with limited licenses.
17. Assist with the orientation of new employees
18. Monitors, records, and communicates patient condition and general acceptance of treatment
19. Performs other duties as assigned by the director of the department.
1. Staff adheres to all C.A.R.E. Standards
2. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, participating in professional societies
3. Perform yearly departmental competencies in a timely fashion
4. Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols
5. Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision
6. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate actions in volatile situations.
7. Requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, and moving equipment
8. Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
9. Is in compliance with College of American Pathologists, CMS and Joint Commission standards and regulations. To include:
a. Yearly competency for blood gas analysis
b. CAP requirements for transportation of specimens
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why weve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If youre looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Womens Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
Current Massachusetts Board of Respiratory Care license
Registered Respiratory Therapist
Current BLS certification
ACLS Required for full time and part time employees
PALS Required for full time and part time employees
1 Year experience is preferred
Respiratory therapists are on their feet walking and working the majority of the time. They push ventilators which are on wheels to different locations. They perform chest physical therapy on patients and assist during CPR, sometimes performing the cardiac compressions. Therapists typically work three 12-hour shifts and take turns covering weekends and holidays. Brigham and Womens Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employees protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.