RN Clinical Team Leader CCDH (7p - 7a) 8/21/2020
Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
Saint Petersburg, FL
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY RN CLINICAL TEAM LEADER CCDH (7P - 7A)
Requisition #: 272065
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work Shift: Night Shift
Work Week: Full Time Nursing (36 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Aug. 20, 2020
Congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) is a rare birth defect affecting approximately one in 3,000 fetuses. CDH occurs when the diaphragm (the muscle separating the chest from the abdomen) does not form properly during fetal development. This results in a hole in the diaphragm and allows the abdominal organs to migrate into the chest. This could mean having the intestines, stomach, spleen and sometimes liver in the chest. The presence of these abdominal organs in the chest compresses the lungs and prevents them from developing normally.
CDH is most often diagnosed before birth, around the 20-week ultrasound visit. There is a spectrum of severity in CDH patients, and the health risks and treatment often depend on the level of severity
The team treats each CDH patient differently and doesn't have a "one size fits all" protocol. Treatment includes:
* Planned birth at Bayfront Baby Place, located on the third flood of Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital with easy, quick access to the NICU
* Resuscitation and careful ventilation upon birth
* Variable timing of CDH repair (from six hours to six days of life) based on a scientific evaluation of each baby's CDH severity, optimizing the benefits of repair, while minimizing the risks of surgery
* "Gentle" pressure-limited ventilation that eliminates pressure-induced lung injury and strict protection of the underdeveloped lungs
* Utilization of ECMO when needed. Duration of ECMO is not pre-determined and may last a few days to a few weeks
* Extremely high continuity of care during the course of hospitalization
* No routine paralysis, thus giving babies a chance to act as normal as possible in an abnormal environment
* Slow and deliberate recovery
* Discharge in one to three months
The RN Clinical Team Leader provides patient centered, specialized, evidence based nursing care across the continuum through an interprofessional approach to treatment, research, education and advocacy. This position contributes to the goals of the department by being accountable for the delivery of compassionate and safe care within the scope of practice as defined by the Florida Board of Nursing and JHACH policy. Through collaborative practice with all members of the care team, this role is responsible for patient outcomes that meet the high quality of care provided by JHACH. The professional practice of nursing at JHACH involves the promotion of a culture of innovation and a commitment to academic growth and professional development.
Work hours: 12 hour nights
Work location: St. Petersburg, Florida
*Bachelor of Science in Nursing
*Current Florida RN Licensure
*3 years of experience in an acute care setting
*Certification within one year in area of specialty
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.